Help! Temp removal of Republic replacement picture window

DIY - If Your Bound & Determined
shubunkin

Help! Temp removal of Republic replacement picture window

#1 Post by shubunkin »

We are renovating a 2nd floor bath and (in the vein of anything that can go wrong, will) the new bathtub will only be able to enter the house through a second floor window. This vinyl replacement picture window (Republic brand) was put in professionally about 7 years ago. Several contractors have indicated that they have no interest in helping us, so we would like to remove and then replace the window ourselves. Couldn't find any drawings or info on how it went in, and we'd like to not damage it in removal. (Don't love the windows, but hey, they're in. And we should have paid more attention when they went in, but there were other issues to deal with :? )
Could anyone help us with a brief tutorial (e.g., what comes out in what order, what is caulked vs. screwed, etc.) on how to get the window out without damage? I'm hoping if we could remove it, the steps for putting it back in would be just a reversal of the process.
Thank you so much for any advice!

Windows on Washington

Re: Help! Temp removal of Republic replacement picture window

#2 Post by Windows on Washington »

Have you tried contacting the company that put them in?

If it is a picture window, it is likely screwed through the frame of the window in the wood jamb or 2x4s of the home and capped over on the exterior.

Look for some screw plug buttons on the side of the frame.

Pop out the plugs and pull the fasteners.

seadoo

#3 Post by seadoo »

Post some pictures if possible.

shubunkin

#4 Post by shubunkin »

Thanks for both replies. The original installation co is no help; because Republic is out of business, they want nothing to do with it. My husband took a bunch of photos, but as they aren't on a public computer, I'm not sure how to post them here.

At any rate, the small plug buttons appear on the top. There appear to be trim strips on the inside that I guess we will try to gently pry off. Hopefully the rest will become obvious. Thanks again.