Full depth window or extension jambs?

DIY - If Your Bound & Determined
trav

Full depth window or extension jambs?

#1 Post by trav »

I have 2x4 walls and was looking at an all vinyl window that comes in a standard depth where you need an extension jamb, OR where it fills the entire wall cavity. (not sure on the depth of the one that would fill the entire wall cavity, but I think it was almost 5 inches)

Anyone have experience with the full depth windows that don't require an extension jamb? any Pros or Cons?
One con I can think of is that the inside trim cannot be nailed to the window. (there wont be any wood jamb to nail the trim too)

Another down side I can think of is that if things dont go smooth with the install the extension jamb can be cut to end up flush with the interior wall.

I guess I'd need to make very sure that my walls are the exact thickness the full depth windows expect. If my exterior plywood/buffalo board is thicker or thinner I'd probably be in trouble.

Thanks for any advice!

Windows on Washington

Re: Full depth window or extension jambs?

#2 Post by Windows on Washington »

Are you trying to trim the interior out in wood or drywall?

trav

#3 Post by trav »

I will be trimming the interior with your standard wood window trim.

Thanks!

TheWindowNerd

#4 Post by TheWindowNerd »

Most of the vinyl windows that I know of that are 4 9/16 or 6 9/16 do have factory applied jamb extensions.
If you are not using fins then the exact thickness is not as critical. We almost never use fins. We pull the window in flush with the drywall and screw it through the jamb.
We often use standard 3 1/4" vinyl windows and apply our own jamb(either back stabbed or faced screwed through the JE) and stool then case them out after we set them, turns out to be a nice "full tear/full frame" vinyl project, the best of both worlds.