Maxxcraft Retrofit Windows?

DIY - If Your Bound & Determined
mailmanx

Maxxcraft Retrofit Windows?

#1 Post by mailmanx »

I was all set to take advantage of a great price on (13) Milgard Tuscany retrofit vinyl windows. Each of them will have (1) of the panes tempered to meet fire safety regulations in San Diego county.

Then the local Home Depot window salesman said I should use "American Craftsman" Maxxcraft windows. He quoted them with (2) tempered panes and they were cheaper than the Milgard's were with only (1) tempered pane. That should probably tell me something! The salesman's answer for that is that American Craftsman wants take market share from the other manufacturers and is undercutting everyone else. Hmmm, nice sales pitch. He said, "I'd put them in my home!" Another nice sales pitch. I don't think those guys at HD work on commission, but he sure acted like it.

I tried to do my due diligence and research the Maxxcraft windows before making a final decision. Unfortunately, I can't find much online about Maxxcraft. I believe that American Craftsman is a good company, but I don't know anything about their Maxxcraft line. I get the impression it's their "Home Depot Only" line of windows.

Do do any of you know the quality of Maxxcraft? Is (2) tempered panes a LOT better than (1)?

Thanks!
Michael

jeff1995

Re: Maxxcraft Retrofit Windows?

#2 Post by jeff1995 »

I would check this site for Silverline windows aka American Craftsman that is sold in the Orange store. Wildfire zone windows in new construction are required to have the tempered glass option. This is a state thing, but check with your local codes to see if that code is modified for a retro fit. Buyer beware.

mailmanx

Re: Maxxcraft Retrofit Windows?

#3 Post by mailmanx »

Ahh, Silverline. That was helpful information. Milgard it is, then.

I already have a permit for my retrofit windows. The code for my residence is for a minimum of (1) pane in a dual pane window to be tempered. I will place that order on Monday.

Thanks!