Removing old windows

DIY - If Your Bound & Determined
str1der

Removing old windows

#1 Post by str1der »

I've been reading and researching for a couple weeks about replacing some windows myself. I've looked at various examples but can't figure out how they apply to my current windows. Can anyone help explain to me what I should be removing from my current windows. Here is a link to some pics. Thanks.

http://www.villagephotos.com/pubbrowse. ... id=1246815

earwax

#2 Post by earwax »

strlder,

Why are you looking to replace your windows?

str1der

#3 Post by str1der »

First the spirals are not working well on all the windows. I've also had a couple of them break around the sash and locks. They also don't insulate very well.

earwax

#4 Post by earwax »

The reason I ask the question is that many manufactures warranty their products. You might be entitled to free replacement of the parts. Even if you are not the original owner or purchaser of the product, you can get free parts if nothing else.

If it is for insulating, it looks like you have vinyl windows already, the real gains will be in the glass, not in a new vinly frame. Vinyl makes up a smaller impact on the rating when looking at different vinlyl windows than the glass does.

To save money, you might look at getting new IG put in and fixing the broken parts.

If you don't mind, what brand of windows are currently in your home?

str1der

#5 Post by str1der »

We bought the house new about 13 years ago. To be honest I don't know what kind of windows the builder used and I'm not sure how to find out.

HomeSealed

Re: Removing old windows

#6 Post by HomeSealed »

Newhomeowner09 wrote:There are a lot of cost effective windows out there that will serve as energy efficient. One way to find out what types of windows are the best or most used in your area is to call a few contractors. Don't tell them how much you are looking to spend, but what you are trying to achieve...you will get a better response that way.
Or you could do the homework and visit web resources such as this. :D There are more poor choices out there than there are good ones unfortunately.
Last edited by HomeSealed on Mon Jul 09, 2012 10:23 am, edited 1 time in total.

TheWindowNerd

#7 Post by TheWindowNerd »

I would also suggest that you have a pro do this type of install.
Your extisting units are flanged, both the removal of the existing units and the finishing of the new units is not for a novice.

Ron Noble

#8 Post by Ron Noble »

You do not want to remove the frames from under your siding/stucco, keeps the integrity of the seal
Jump the frames and flat trim the inside with retro windows

Windows on Washington

#9 Post by Windows on Washington »

You are going to loose visible glass via this method that Ron mentions, however, it is the most widely accepted for stucco and the most fool proof.