Please describe proper window installation.

DIY - If Your Bound & Determined
Cassandra2

Please describe proper window installation.

#1 Post by Cassandra2 »

There is a lot of talk about quality installation but no details on exactly what that is. I hate vagueness. I need the answers to the questions in advance so I can ask them to somebody else. I need a crib sheet.

Window4U (IL)
Location: Sales and Installation in Chicagoland and Central Illinois

Re: Please describe proper window installation.

#2 Post by Window4U (IL) »

The vagueness is because there are unlimited different installations we run into, with many types of "proper" installation.
All windows need to be installed level and square. They need to be insulated, preferably with minimal expanding window and door foam. They all need to be waterproofed. Sometimes that means caulking the window to the brick, sometimes that means removing vinyl siding and installing drip caps before proceeding.
A window installer first needs to learn all the basics, then over time and thousands of windows installed he learns all the different methodologies and "tricks" to be able to do the proper installation no matter what he runs in to. Hopefully, that window installer has a more experienced installer to work with for the first several years so that he doesn't have to learn a lot of it by trial and error.

HomeSealed

#3 Post by HomeSealed »

Window4U (IL) wrote:The vagueness is because there are unlimited different installations we run into, with many types of "proper" installation.
All windows need to be installed level and square. They need to be insulated, preferably with minimal expanding window and door foam. They all need to be waterproofed. Sometimes that means caulking the window to the brick, sometimes that means removing vinyl siding and installing drip caps before proceeding.
A window installer first needs to learn all the basics, then over time and thousands of windows installed he learns all the different methodologies and "tricks" to be able to do the proper installation no matter what he runs in to. Hopefully, that window installer has a more experienced installer to work with for the first several years so that he doesn't have to learn a lot of it by trial and error.
Could not have said it better. :D

Delaware Mike

#4 Post by Delaware Mike »

In a nutshell, that's excellent Dave. Typically on a window/door crew one guy with be the head guy with the most experience and most on the line. He should be well versed on all aspects window installs for new construction and retrofit projects. With installing to square, level, and plumb, he will know all the tricks to get the locks and weatherstripping working at it's peak performance. Really good and experienced window installers will eventually be very good at trim and casing work and should be able to delegate to the rest of the crew exactly how the exterior capping will be bent and installed.

Windows on Washington

#5 Post by Windows on Washington »

Cassandra2 wrote:There is a lot of talk about quality installation but no details on exactly what that is. I hate vagueness. I need the answers to the questions in advance so I can ask them to somebody else. I need a crib sheet.
If you want to post some pictures of both the interior and exterior or your windows, we can give you so much more directed feedback and guidance.

TheWindowNerd

#6 Post by TheWindowNerd »

Yep, need specific details to give specific answers.
Are you talking a storm window, pocket insert, or full tear out/full frame replacement?
What are the details of the existing uints and wall construction?
Do you plan to help, give advice or just watch? Charges might be different for each.