Replacing window with glass

DIY - If Your Bound & Determined
thaynewashburn

Replacing window with glass

#1 Post by thaynewashburn »

I have a single hung window that is screwed up. When we bought the home, it would not open. We realized it had been screwed shut because of damage.
It is approx. 27x53.

I had Home Depot came out to look into replacing it but it's going to be way more expensive than i'd like. They also told me I would need to get a permit and such.

We are wanting to remove the window and just fill the whole with just a single pane of glass.

SET UP: There are two windows next to each other, separated by about 6 inches of wood. The windows are placed in a large cut out of the wall.

I know its not going to look amazing have a window on the left and plane glass next to it BUT we need to go cheapest way that is still plausible.

PLEASE ADVISE. 1. is this possible? 2. What would be the best way to install? 3. What thickness of glass would be best? (1/8 work?)

Thanks so much!

HomeSealed

Re: Replacing window with glass

#2 Post by HomeSealed »

Can you screw the damaged single hung back together? That would be my recommendation until replacement of both windows in that bank is in the budget.
Can you take that window out and stick a piece of glass in there? Sure. Will it look nice or be efficient? No. If putting the SH back together is not an option and looks are of no concern, board it it, caulk it shut, and add a piece a ridgid foam board.

TheWindowNerd

#3 Post by TheWindowNerd »

Reviewing this post generated an idea. We often throw old glass away, particularly of use to you might be storm window sash. Either two lapped over each other or a large piece that you cut down. You can do this if you are handy and careful.
Or as Homesealed shared cut, paint and install plywood, then add rigid foam or batt insulation.

blueskyglass

#4 Post by blueskyglass »

If you really want to go that way I would suggest you put in two panes of glass to get the improved R value. The added cost will be minimal and the comfort level much higher. Only problem is that with two panes you are likely to get condensation between the panels. You will need to seal both panes carefully.