General Advice

DIY - If Your Bound & Determined
Phonedave

General Advice

#1 Post by Phonedave »

Hello all,

I am hoping I can get some solid advice on what my options are from this board.

Some background about myself - I consider myself pretty well versed when it comes to home construction. I have installed my share of new windows on a number of different projects (as well as a variety of other things - plumbing, electrical, storage sheds, patios, masonry, etc). However replacement windows - that is new for me.

My current windows are 1970's era original wood. Some are in brick siding, some are in cement shingles (not asbestos). I live in Northern NJ

One of the widows is a second floor 9 foot unit (picture / two double hung) that I want to replace with a 5 casement bay - that I will be contracting out for sure.

The rest are all double hung units, that I am open to either contracting out or replacing myself - depends on price and availability.

I am looking for good replacement units. Not top of the line break the bank, but I don't want garbage either. I looked at the Harvey windows and got a quote to have them done (from Thermo - Seal). The windows themselves seem OK from a structural standpoint, but the pros on here seem to think they are not that great. I tend to listen to pros.

I am also not adverse to installing the windows myself, but as I said, I am used to new construction. I know how to put a new window in, flash it, and side around it. I have moved existing windows in vinyl siding (unzip siding, remove window, reframe, re-sheath, reinstall window and siding) Working with existing siding that I really cannot remove (cement siding breaks apart) is a different matter.

Looking around, I see there are some recommendations for replacement window brands in this area, but how, as a homeowner, would I go about getting them to install myself? I have bought new construction windows in started sized through supply yards a number of times, but replacements -this is a whole new deal for me.

Are there any contractors in this area (Northern NJ) that people on this board have used and are happy with? I still need a contractor for the bow no matter what I do.

Thanks

-dave

Windows on Washington

Re: General Advice

#2 Post by Windows on Washington »

Dave,

Only one guy to talk to in NJ. He has done work for the family of my clients and they were thrilled.

Masterext is the man.

You can find him here and you wont find a better guy in the business in your market.

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=5661

HomeSealed

Re: General Advice

#3 Post by HomeSealed »

+1! Talk to Paul. Only offers excellent products and is a true stickler for details.