Frameless window installation question(s)

DIY - If Your Bound & Determined
hotrodjohn71

Frameless window installation question(s)

#1 Post by hotrodjohn71 »

Thanks for membership to this great forum and thank you to many knowledgable and helpful folks on here.
I have accumilated several large dual payne windows which are frameless which were removed from a solariam. they are roughly 3 foot by 7 foot high and 2 paynes of roughly 3/8" thick glass sandwhiching what looks like aluminum square stock probably 7/16"square running the outter edge of the windows all held together by silicone. basicly a rectangular aluminum frame sandwhiched between 2 pieces of glass. I would like to include these big windows into some walls I am framing in in an already covered patio. I will be framing the walls with 2x6. There is no frame or flashing on these windows, just rectangular glass. My questions are how should I frame them in? should I leave some gap between the sides and top of the framing, or keep it a a tight fit? should I use tar paper and if so, how to go about that also. Thanks

Windows on Washington

Re: Frameless window installation question(s)

#2 Post by Windows on Washington »

John,

How about some pictures. They should be edge banded at the least to protect the glass and then incorporated into some sort of stop design or build a buck frame (ideally out of PVC) to be inserted into the RO.

If it is a porch and the necessity of water tightness is not like an exterior wall in the main home (i.e. a tine weep here an there isn't going to be the end of the world), then you can certainly use them and the techniques to set them in place is going to be less arduous.

TheWindowNerd

#3 Post by TheWindowNerd »

You can direct glaze them into the rough opening.
How are you going to create a stop on the outside? You can use composite 1 x 4 nailed so that it over hangs the sheathing to create the exterior stop. the bottom horizontal stop should have a bevel cut on it to shed water away from the glass and opening. You can make the RO 1/2" or 3/8" larger than the glass. Normally you would want to set the glass on top of glazing shims.
You can then jamb out/stop the inside with 1x? or even sheetrock with vinyl J bead.
The glass is probably tempered.

hotrodjohn71

#4 Post by hotrodjohn71 »

Thanks guys for your replies and suggestions. There is literally no banding around these windows. Just a thick bead of silicone. I like the idea of making a band from PVC. I'll post a photo soon.

TheWindowNerd

#5 Post by TheWindowNerd »

normally there is a spacer metal or non metallic that keeps the OD of the IGU at a consistent width, the edge then is sealed with sealant.