Providing support while making masonry opening

DIY - If Your Bound & Determined
AliInBaltimore

Providing support while making masonry opening

#1 Post by AliInBaltimore »

Not sure where exactly to post this question, but here it goes...

I had a mason make an opening for a window in our block foundation. I didn't see him using anything to support the weight above the opening. Also, the lintels weren't installed until the second day; i.e., the opening was left overnight without lintels. I asked him about it and he said something like the existing masonry has cured so leaving it like that for just a day shouldn't matter. The work looks great, but I was curious if in the future I should be more careful about this sort of thing. Thanks for any thougts.

Last edited by AliInBaltimore on Thu Aug 27, 2015 12:03 am, edited 1 time in total.

Windows on Washington

Re: Providing support while making masonry opening

#2 Post by Windows on Washington »

Unless the wall is compromised, nothing is moving around in a 12-24 hour period.

AliInBaltimore

#3 Post by AliInBaltimore »

Thanks. (I changed the picture to a better one of just the masonry opening without the window.)

Guy

#4 Post by Guy »

Most homes are built with Bond Beams intermittently in the walls. This will stop most of the sagging or smiling as we call it. I'm a big supporter of Lintel Irons being applied during the resizing or cutting. Some guys will wait so they can cut the joints. I like them installed during the bricking process. This way they can be seen easily by any over bearing inspectors who show up unannounced!

TheWindowNerd

#5 Post by TheWindowNerd »

yep, that opening looks great.
rebar reinforced concrete lintels.