Vinyl Replacement Windows

DIY - If Your Bound & Determined
jd438

Vinyl Replacement Windows

#1 Post by jd438 »

I looking at project to replace my current single hung vinyl windows with new replacement windows. I would like to leave my current interior trim intact. I have had two different window installers and of course two different courses of action. One would be to remove the window and exterior trim and install a new construction window. How can they shim the window properly without removing trim?
Second would be to cut existing window out and install a replacement window.
Someone has replaced 3 of the windows and it looks like they took out the old window and extended the jam from the interior to the exterior and then placed the replacement inside the opening, I would be replacing these as well to match.

Any suggestions? I have done new constructions, but have not tried the installation of replacements. I've been told it was easier, but I am scratching my head on the different methods.

Windows on Washington

Re: Vinyl Replacement Windows

#2 Post by Windows on Washington »

Both should be able to preserve the interior trim to be honest and both are suitable options.

Just depends on how and what both are deploying as part of the install in terms of which will be better. I have seen new construction installs done wrong and look terrible just as I have seen inserts done wrong and look terrible.

TheWindowNerd

Re: Vinyl Replacement Windows

#3 Post by TheWindowNerd »

DH with a fin can be done from the exterior. I prefer to do them without a fin if I am leaving the interior casing up, so that I can shim more easily and foam correctly.