Missings holes

DIY - If Your Bound & Determined
Slabysz

Missings holes

#1 Post by Slabysz »

At Home Depot I boughta 70 series twin casement buck window. They provided 4 screws, but there are only two holes ( on the right). Should i drill two more holes on the left?

Windows on Washington

Re: Missings holes

#2 Post by Windows on Washington »

Assuming that you get your alignment correct and you have the screen orientated properly, yes.

Measure 3X and drill once.

toddinmn

#3 Post by toddinmn »

Windows on Washington wrote:Assuming that you get your alignment correct and you have the screen orientated properly, yes.

Measure 3X and drill once.
There should be screw holes behind the valance covers in the jambs. Use a 3/8 bit and only drill through the first layer of vinyl, a step bit makes nice clean holes.

TheWindowNerd

#4 Post by TheWindowNerd »

If they are casement windows there will be no balance covers.
Often with casements you do not need to recess the screw head, if you do not recess it would be best to use a rust resitant fastener.

theWindowNerd.

toddinmn

#5 Post by toddinmn »

I missed that they were casements, good eye Nerd.
On some of the casements you can pull out some of the screws that hold the locking mechanism hardware in place and run a longer screw through the same hole. I would like to see 3 screws per side backed by shims on casements. I also like to remove a screw in the crank mechanism hardware and run longer one through the sill, especially on a twin unit and the same at the hardware at the head as close to the middle as possible.