Superlite slider window roller replacement

DIY - If Your Bound & Determined
Steve

Superlite slider window roller replacement

#1 Post by Steve »

I live in the Phoenix AZ area where many of these Windows are installed,and can't seem to find much information on them. I found a roller that would work from Swisco #87-147 with slight modification,the wheel axle is wider than the hole in the bottom of the window frame and had to narrow it with a dremel.
I have a problem child with window number 4. It is a 3 pane window,stationary large panel in the middle
with the two small sliders on the side. I can't get the sliders out of the frame to change the rollers.
I was thinking I might have to move the center pane and take them out from the outside,since the lip is shorter on the outside. I removed the two metal trim pieces on each side of the center window sash,made sure the track was clean to attempt to move the window approximately 1 inch so I could remove the side sliders. It won't move and I don't see any screws holding it in.
Any information would be helpful, thanks!

Windows on Washington

Re: Superlite slider window roller replacement

#2 Post by Windows on Washington »

Are there blockers installed in the head jamb to keep the windows from being lifted out.

Steve

#3 Post by Steve »

No, it's free and clear

HomeSealed

#4 Post by HomeSealed »

How close is it to clearing when you lift it up into the head jamb and try to swing the bottom out? Perhaps the head is sagging a little?... I can't say that I've seen a slider that was not designed for the sashes to come out to the interior. Certainly a possibility, but very rare if that is the case... If it is close and there are no blocks in that head jamb. you could see about driving that upward to gain that last bit of clearance. Wedge a 2x4, or drive it up with a screw or two, etc.

Windows on Washington

#5 Post by Windows on Washington »

+1. They will be tight if they are drooping.

TheWindowNerd

#6 Post by TheWindowNerd »

Were the others you did 2 section sliders?
Did they clear the track to the inside?
As has been alluded to a wide 3 section slider can have a crowned up sill and or a bowed down head.
Measure the track opening at the side jamb, now measure the track opening at the CMR of the two sash. If this measurement is not the same you have some sort of bows and or crowns which can give you trouble in removing sash.

theWindowNerd