Stainless Steel Spacer?

Spacer Talk - Swiggle? Super Spacer? What Are They?
mybaby2028

Stainless Steel Spacer?

#1 Post by mybaby2028 »

I was wondering what the "expert" opinion was on a stainless steel spacer? While I realize it is better than aluminum, I thought any metal didn't make for a good spacer.
Thanks!

Oberon

Stainless Steel spacer

#2 Post by Oberon »

There is obviously a great deal of controversy on this site over spacers. A segment of the folks will say that any metal spacer is bad and any non-metal spacer is good.
Like any other good argument or debate, there is some truth, some speculation, and some factual errors...
Generally speaking, the Cardinal XL stainless steel, Intercept with stainless steel (not always true, but should be) and Swiggle (technically non-metallic) are all very comparable in energy efficiency. In fact, the XL, as the true "stainless steel" spacer actually has the best energy numbers of the three...
SuperSpacer and TPS tend to have somewhat better energy numbers than the other three...when compared as an IG and without inclusion in a window sash.
Some people like to compare stainless and aluminum with the blanket statement that all metal is bad (as I mentioned earlier).
One argument often used is "would you want to touch a frying pan with an aluminum handle, or a stainless handle, or a non-metallic handle?"
This question is intended to illustrate that metal conducts heat and the metallic handle would burn you and non-metal does not conduct heat and the non-metallic handle would not burn you.
In fact, and not exactly related to window construction, most of your top line pots and pans do have stainless steel handles because stainless is actually a very poor heat conductor. A number of the best pots and pans are actually made of stainless with a copper or aluminum base to conduct the heat since the stainless is so poor at doing so.
Take two metallic rods at one foot in length, one of stainless and one of aluminum, and heat one end of both with a propane torch while holding the other end in your bare hand, the aluminum rod would actually begin to
melt while the stainless rod would barely feel warm...they are not the same.
Finally, even aluminum works adequately in the correct application. I would not recommend aluminum, but as I have said before, even with an aluminum spacer, your windows are not going to attack you in your sleep or fall out on your head.

mman

#3 Post by mman »

I am curious if there are any websites that list the performance of stainless steel vs. super spacer. Other than the edgetech website of course. Thanks
WINDOW GEEKS UNITE!