Sashlite

Spacer Talk - Swiggle? Super Spacer? What Are They?
sitedrifter

Sashlite

#1 Post by sitedrifter »

What does everyone think about this new technology? sashlite.com/

Looks like the glass is bonded to the vinyl sash frame and the bonding agent is the spacer.

Site

earwax

#2 Post by earwax »

From the information I have read and observed at trade shows, look indredible. Unproven as of yet, but from a manufacturing standpoint, a lot of money to invest to change current processes over to this new technology. I know it won a Crystal Achievement award.

WindowLooker

Sashlite

#3 Post by WindowLooker »

Anyone know what companies, if any, actually offer sashlite and whether it is likely to last longer than existing spacers?

It sounds like the window sashes would be much stronger since the glass would help siffen the window?

Window4U (IL)
Location: Sales and Installation in Chicagoland and Central Illinois

#4 Post by Window4U (IL) »

We spoke about this a long time ago on the old board. If anyone is interested in what we said then, the link is:
http://www.replacement-windows.com/wind ... 1&id=13418

WindowLooker

Thanks.

#5 Post by WindowLooker »

W4U,
Thanks for the link. It'll be interesting to see if the issues discussed with sashlite are resolved.

Wds83

#6 Post by Wds83 »

I been looking at Accuweld which manufactures with the new sashlite system. Does anybody have any experience with this type of window?
Seems like a good concept.

Windows on Washington

#7 Post by Windows on Washington »

New technology but I hardly see it as a selling point. I like the idea of a equal sight line throughout the window but I would be suspect of seal failures within regards to pressure differentials. The super space, TPS, and intercept allow for the expansion and compression of the air in that space across the spacer. I am not sure that vinyl would be as accomodating for temperature related pressure changes.

I would also like to see comparitive data on edge temperature and U-Factors when compared to a super space or TPS equip window.

Wds83

#8 Post by Wds83 »

Windows on Washington wrote:New technology but I hardly see it as a selling point. I like the idea of a equal sight line throughout the window but I would be suspect of seal failures within regards to pressure differentials. The super space, TPS, and intercept allow for the expansion and compression of the air in that space across the spacer. I am not sure that vinyl would be as accomodating for temperature related pressure changes.

I would also like to see comparitive data on edge temperature and U-Factors when compared to a super space or TPS equip window.
Just found the numbers on the NFRC Edge of glass test.

.64 Aluminum Box
.59 Swiggle
.53 Super Spacer
.51 Sashlite

The only thing that would have me worries is the expansion and compression on the glass. What I have read your relying on the sealant to expand and contract. Overall I could see a selling point to this window system. You could offer a window with better ratings at a reasonable price.

Windows on Washington

#9 Post by Windows on Washington »

Great find. Could you post up the link where you found that. I looked up the overall ratings and found that Accuweld window to be around a .29. Virtually no difference from and intercept spacer equip window. Again, clever marketing tool but just that.

The point that I highlighted in bold was exactly my point as well (see previous post). I don't like the idea of a rigid spacer not allowing for contraction or expansion.

Nice info. Thanks.

:D

Wds83

#10 Post by Wds83 »

They have the numbers on http://www.sashlite.com/ website under the performance. The Accuweld Invision with the Foam filled frame and Main frame comes in at .27 I could offer my customers a affordable window with a good rating. The window that my company sells now has a .32 rating. It comes with your basic options, but really has no selling points except the price I could install it for. At least with the sashlite window you could make it stand out a little from the rest. The technology is a little new has me a little worried about switching.

DWS

#11 Post by DWS »

I been looking at Accuweld which manufactures with the new sashlite system. Does anybody have any experience with this type of window?
I see alot of problems with the sashlite system in operable windows, especially lower end products like Accuweld. Their frames are so week that on a warm day the sahes will flex in your fingers. Yea the glass will help stiffen them up at first but after a whlie I would expect normal operation to start working on breaking the seal. As far as asthetics, most vinyl manufatures have a hard time producing a glazing bead that look half way decent, Now you got a glazing bead on the inside and the outside of the sash. In my opinion the only people that will benefit from sashlite is the manufature as it is a much cheaper way to produce windows, it takes two or three steps out of the window manufactureing process.

Integra

Re: Sashlite

#12 Post by Integra »

Northeast Windows is using this technology on their Grand Lite window. They're really high on this process and are reporting no issues thus far. I'm anxious to learn more about this.