Installer recommends the Intercept.

Spacer Talk - Swiggle? Super Spacer? What Are They?
Jack

#1 Post by Jack »

My window installer does not even recommend the Super Spacer (even though it is an option on the brand of window he sells) because he said the U values are not really any better. I went to the website, and found out he was telling the truth. He also mentioned something about the way the mullions sit on the spacer. On the Intercept, they sit up on the ridge. On the Super Spacer the mullions press down on the spacer. I did not really understand what that had to do with anything.

Jacky

Oberon

mullions

#2 Post by Oberon »

I am really curious what your installer meant when he said that the mullions sit on the spacer? A mullion is something that is used to join windows or doors or whatever together...or sometimes it is also referred to as a mull or mulling.

Unless he meant muntins which are used in true divided lite windows; or he meant grilles which are used in simulated divided lite windows.
Mullions have nothing to do with the spacer system.

Jack

#3 Post by Jack »

Misspelled the word. It is the grids that go between the glass.

Oberon

#4 Post by Oberon »

That makes much more sense...thanks.
I was a bit concerned that someone was giving you some really questionable advice!

Chuck Laney

#5 Post by Chuck Laney »

It is true that COG (center of glass) values will be similar, but ask about warm edge. Super spacer will decrease the edge of glass temperature helping reduce condensation. I would look into it a little more.

buddy

#6 Post by buddy »

Intercept by PPG has been around for years. It's the most widely used spacer in the industry. What's important is how it is bonded to the glass. Most companies send the completed IGU through a heated chamber. The problem with this is that the center pane of a triple pane unit never really heats up. Therfore the seal is suspect. Cardinal and some PPG users seal with lasers which is far more dependable.

SS is relatively new, but good results are being achieved. I am not yet convinced of it's longevity.

windowmann2000

#7 Post by windowmann2000 »

I'm a pretty strong proponent of SS. We first used it in 1996, and now get it from four different vendors. If it's offered from a mfrg it's the only spacer we use from them. Recently Milgard started using it and it cost us around $8-$12.00 per window. My experience with spacers I've used in the last ten years is very satisfactory compared to the previous ten years. We've replaced around forty units since 1996, spanning some 15,000 plus windows. I won't count Silverline in this equasion which alone had over 50 stress cracks. I'll only count the real windows. Of those it's about 50/50 between stress cracks and seal failure, and there all Intercept. I've yet to replace any unit triple or double made with SS.

Portal Pro

Super Spacer

#8 Post by Portal Pro »

Super Spacer has excellent warm edge properties and flexability to move with the convex / concave pressures during climate extremes. The chink in the armor is that it requires a backbedded butyl sealant behind it. The same butyl sealant and the same application process that has been in use for the last twenty years. No magic here, the longevity of the seal is only as good as the butyl application process which can vary widely from manufacturer to manufacturer, from hand gunning to automated equipment.
Struturally inferior compressive strength and shear properties make it a poor choice for large picture window units, which when sandwiched together tend to roll the spacer inward as a result of the concave deflection of the top pane.
There is also a very suspect gas retention ability, I would like to see a test report in adherence to the German DIN standard for argon retention.