Marvin spacers

Spacer Talk - Swiggle? Super Spacer? What Are They?
just0505

Marvin spacers

#1 Post by just0505 »

Hi,
I have been looking at windows for my house.

What exactly is Marvins SS-D spacer ( that is what is listed for their clad casemaster window on the NFRC).

How does it compare to Harvey windows spacers?

thanks for helping me out.

FenEx

#2 Post by FenEx »

Marvin's SS-D spacer stands for stainless steel-dual sealed. It's manufactured by Cardinal glass and they use the XLedge. Harvey uses the S4-D which is the Intercept "U" spacer by PPG Industries. Out of the two, hands down I would prefer the Cardinal spacer as they edge-delete low-e coatings before application. The Intercept has a much higher rate of gas loss and seal failures, but it's cheaper.

just0505

#3 Post by just0505 »

Thanks FenEx,
I appreciate you and others taking time out to educate window shoppers.
I was wondering if you would take a look at my post over in "ask your window questions".

thanks again

earwax

#4 Post by earwax »

Just a note on edge deletion. If you use any cardinal glass, they requite edge deletion regardless of the spacer used. PPG recommends edge deletion. The sealant suppliers are more commonly the people pushing the manufactures to use their product becuase they do not have to edge delete. All products that use a silver in their Low-E, should be edge deleted to prevent oxidation.

House Doctor

#5 Post by House Doctor »

Cardinal seems to have the most reliable spacer. Anderson, Pella, Kolbe and BiltBest windows (and Four Seasons and C-Thru sunrooms also) with Cardinal SS spacers have a MUCH MUCH MUCH lesser incidence of seal failure than those same windows do using any other option ever offered by those companies. Marvin has offered a Ultrex FIBERGLASS window (called Integrity) for almost 10 years with the cardinal SS spacer. It is the only brand of window that I can honestly say that I have NEVER heard of ANY seal failure in EVER!