Spacer update?

Spacer Talk - Swiggle? Super Spacer? What Are They?
rfree

Spacer update?

#1 Post by rfree »

The more I read the more confused I get. One report says you can get the Intercept with tin or stainless steel. But most ads just avoid the fact that is a metal spacer. I would say that the consensus seems to be that the EdgeTech SuperSpacer is the overall best. But, Cardinal XLEdge stainless steel (which I have noticed is not listed in the column under spacers on the home page of this website) looks great. It got mixed reviews a couple of years ago in this Forum. I also see various mentions of miscellanious others like plastic, wiggles, etc. Is any one rising to the top, yet, in terms of insulation value and longterm durability?

Windows on Washington

Re: Spacer update?

#2 Post by Windows on Washington »

rfree wrote:The more I read the more confused I get. One report says you can get the Intercept with tin or stainless steel. But most ads just avoid the fact that is a metal spacer. I would say that the consensus seems to be that the EdgeTech SuperSpacer is the overall best. But, Cardinal XLEdge stainless steel (which I have noticed is not listed in the column under spacers on the home page of this website) looks great. It got mixed reviews a couple of years ago in this Forum. I also see various mentions of miscellanious others like plastic, wiggles, etc. Is any one rising to the top, yet, in terms of insulation value and longterm durability?
You meant to say "Swiggle" right here.

That being said, much like anything else, opinions are wide and varied on the subject matter.

All of the spacers will do quite well in todays applications. Intercept/Xledge are both quite good and should not be discounted because they are metal/allow.

Non-metallic spacers will give you slightly better edge of glass performance though.

Super spacer is a nice option as is Duralite for non-metallic versions.

bordodecaldo

#3 Post by bordodecaldo »

Long Term Durability are the key words - that being said it is Super Spacer - dual seal, flexible, and a proven track record - the TruSeal products are made of thermoplastic materieal (butyl) - once that material is pressed in during the pumping of a window is has no ability to come back to its former shape - the XLEdge is not a bad product either, but it does that have the same thermal performing ability as the foam spacer from Edgetech

advanced_energy

#4 Post by advanced_energy »

you are wrong about TruSeal. they make one of the best spacers available,particularly the duralite which has no metal at all and is a polycarbonate surrounded by a butyl. superspacer is good but there have been some reports(few) of failures. cardinal makes a very good stainless steel spacer thats just about as warm as superspcaer. PPG is on the bottom of the list since most do not use stainless steel.

Windows on Washington

#5 Post by Windows on Washington »

bordodecaldo wrote:Long Term Durability are the key words - that being said it is Super Spacer - dual seal, flexible, and a proven track record - the TruSeal products are made of thermoplastic materieal (butyl) - once that material is pressed in during the pumping of a window is has no ability to come back to its former shape - the XLEdge is not a bad product either, but it does that have the same thermal performing ability as the foam spacer from Edgetech
Feel free to provide some factual evidence of your claims.

I won't hold my breath since you have no apparent grasp of what the technology actually consists of.

Both Duralite by TruSeal and Super Spacer are only as good as the person assembling them.

buddy11

#6 Post by buddy11 »

Windows on Washington wrote:
bordodecaldo wrote:Long Term Durability are the key words - that being said it is Super Spacer - dual seal, flexible, and a proven track record - the TruSeal products are made of thermoplastic materieal (butyl) - once that material is pressed in during the pumping of a window is has no ability to come back to its former shape - the XLEdge is not a bad product either, but it does that have the same thermal performing ability as the foam spacer from Edgetech
Feel free to provide some factual evidence of your claims.

I won't hold my breath since you have no apparent grasp of what the technology actually consists of.

Both Duralite by TruSeal and Super Spacer are only as good as the person assembling them.
I have to agree here :!: