DURALITE/DURASEAL VS SUPER SPACER

Spacer Talk - Swiggle? Super Spacer? What Are They?
advanced_energy

DURALITE/DURASEAL VS SUPER SPACER

#1 Post by advanced_energy »

I may have brought this up before..any opinions? is one better or is one more structurally sound? i have heard that super spacer can have problems with grilles?

bordodecaldo

Re: DURALITE/DURASEAL VS SUPER SPACER

#2 Post by bordodecaldo »

Superspacer is superior to duralite...not only they equal from a U-Value standpoint (which truseal tries to skew the numbers by pulling the spacer all the way out to the edge) but from a DURABILITY stand point there is no comparison with the superspacer dual seal you get a structural seal and a moisture seal where the duralite only gives you one seal and about 1/2 as much sealing material at the edge of glass....no comparison superspacer hands down

Windows on Washington

#3 Post by Windows on Washington »

You will get very similar claims if you as the Duraseal company.

There is certainly more structural stability to the polycarbonate sub structure of the Duralite spacer.

I have also had grid alignment issues with Superspacer equip windows.

booschang

#4 Post by booschang »

Both the Duralite spacer and Super Spacer are at the head of the glass when it comes to efficiency. u .3 vs. u .31 respectively.

As for durability I prefer the Duralite. The foam of the Super Spacer compresses more easily compared to the corrogated core of the Duralite spacer. This makes the glass more vulnerable to impact at the edges. Additionally, my samples of the Super Spacer have shrunken causing the gas barrier to buckle and de-laminate. Had this happened in a window I think we're talking seal failure. It is a common characteristic of flexible foam to shrink. Over time the air inside the bubbles in the foam leaks out. When this happens, each bubble gets a tiny bit smaller. Multiply that times the number of bubbles in my 4 inch sample and you have a crooked, lumpy spacer.

Dan

#5 Post by Dan »

Booshang,

I've been using Super Spacer for over 10 years and have NEVER heard of the problem you are having with your sample. I would imagine that the people at Edgetech would love to see your sample.

booschang

#6 Post by booschang »

Dan,

I'll try to get a pic of it with my phone.

booschang

#7 Post by booschang »

Have a look
SuperSpacerFront.jpeg
SuperSpacerBack.jpeg

Dan

#8 Post by Dan »

I
Last edited by Dan on Mon Feb 08, 2010 7:38 am, edited 1 time in total.

booschang

#9 Post by booschang »

Easy Dan. Please hold back the venom. I'm not trashing anything. The Super Spacer is my second favorite spacer. I'm just sharing my observation. Please reread my post. I clearly stated "4 inch sample" and "had this happened in a window...".

This spacer has been dangling from the handle of a Trimline pocket window sample sitting in an air conditioned office. No folding, spindling or mutilating. Just dangling. We sell vinyl windows. We keep the Trimline around just in case a customer requests wooden windows.

It's a well known fact that flexible foam shrinks. The foam in this sample shrank and the gas barrier is bunched-up. If my phone had a better camera it's quite plain to see. This sample has even developed a curve because the foam shrank and the mylar didn't, it just bunched up a little. If you look closely you can see how the buckling/bunching on the shiny side meets perfectly at the edges where the mylar has separated from the foam. Click on the pic for a close-up view.

Just in case you care, I fold, spindle and mutilate the same Duralite spacer every time I do a demo and it is in perfect condition... just a little dirty.

Guy

#10 Post by Guy »

You can go here and get a better understanding

http://www.Truseal.com/products/flexible/duralite/

fizzee

#11 Post by fizzee »

Over the last 20 years I have only seen one case of seal failure with super spacer(Simonton windows). I am now going to be using a window that uses Duralite. The last comment in this discussion was 8 years ago. Nothing like the test of time to get a better perspective. What has been people's experience 8 years later with these products.

Windows on Washington

#12 Post by Windows on Washington »

Glass manufacturers are really good these days. We see extremely small failure rates and if we do see a blip on the radar with more than a few, it is usually low-e that has failed and was defective from the outset.

Oberon

#13 Post by Oberon »

And since Quanex owns both superspacer and duralite you won't see much debate, at least in advertising, over which one is superior versus the other. :roll:

Win-admin
Board Administrator

#14 Post by Win-admin »

Hello Oberon,

It is indeed a pleasure to see your appearance on the board!

Hope you are well.
Win-Admin
win-admin@replacement-windows.com

Windows on Washington

#15 Post by Windows on Washington »

Oberon 1 Kenobi...back in the fray.