intecept vs super spacer/ softlite windows

Spacer Talk - Swiggle? Super Spacer? What Are They?
petras52

intecept vs super spacer/ softlite windows

#1 Post by petras52 »

disregarding the slight performance advantages of the super spacer, are there any long term durability/argon gas leakage issues between these two types of spacers that soft lite offers? thanks..I'm looking at their imperial pro series double hungs or possibly imperial ls, (if I can get them here in louisville), both without grids..thanks

Skydawggy.

Re: intecept vs super spacer/ softlite windows

#2 Post by Skydawggy. »

Supposedly, Super Spacer retains gas more effectively than intercept spacer. I've never seen anything that I would consider difinitive proof by an independent lab. OTOH, Intercept has been around for a long time and has proven itself to be very durable. Given a choice for the same price, I'd probably go with Super Spacer.

HomeSealed

#3 Post by HomeSealed »

I agree with Eco, Intercept is a proven performer. SS has more upside in terms of ratings, it just has not been around as long. That being said, I have not seen any indication that SS is any less durable.... Either one will be a fine choice imo, but all things being equal, I'd take the SS.

FenEx

#4 Post by FenEx »

PPG Intercept is a poor choice when compared to SS for flexibility and conductivity. Intercept is simply a very cost-effective spacer (cheap) that is rolled off a coil and formed easily. It's belly is filled with desiccant to hide it's seal failures. Given these two choices, rely heavily on the secondary sealant used to retain your gas fills.

masterext
Location: Window Pro-Serves All of Northern New Jersey. Bergen, Morris, Union, Essex, Passaic, Sussex Counties

#5 Post by masterext »

I agree with FenEx. It can also cost a company alot of money to switch spacer systems,not just the price of the product but new machinery.

buddy11

#6 Post by buddy11 »

I have no idea if it's a bogus claim or not, but Cardinal boasts having the lowest seal failure rate in the industry. They use a true stainless steel spacer. SS is fine as far as I'm concerned

windowmike

#7 Post by windowmike »

SS costs @$20 more per window +/-
Condensation rating goes from 55 with intercept to 59 with SS