Which replacement windows for North Texas (N TX)?

Share your experiences with others
DFW Gal

Re: Which replacement windows for North Texas (N TX)?

#16 Post by DFW Gal »

Thanks so much!
I didn't know that! I assumed no screen above the sash - meant it was a SH.
I was wrong.
Yes, it must have been a DH and the DH for sure has a different exterior frame.
Awesome. exactly what I needed to learn.
Thanks!
I'm leaning toward the SUNRISE bc y'all like them, they meet code and the other brands appear to be far inferior...
Except, IMO, the DY, which I really like, except it doesn't meet code for UF.
But, IF the City catches me, I have a fine, and/or permanent file of non compliance and/or replace to code.
If not caught by city, I can't list the windows as a value add to increase house value as these DY windows are non permitted.
I just learned this.
Bc a new buyer won't place any value to an un permitted improvement as well as it it may be a cost to correct to the buyer so I can't add any portion of what I spent into my sale price.
This window replacement project is a rabbit hole for sure.
Awesome site that I've learned tons from.
Appreciate all of you.

DFW Gal

#17 Post by DFW Gal »

Opps posted above post twice so deleted.

Urotex

#18 Post by Urotex »

Great information for the DFW in this post.

I'm still trying to wrap my head around the U factor issue.

If DY TBA replacement windows don't meet code, how is there even a market for them?
All the points about resale, permit violations, fines, etc are well taken.
But the experts continue to recommend them. Since the company continues to make and sell them, there must be a market for them.
Do people just disregard the codes and take the risk/gamble? Is it really that big of a deal?

I have got a couple of bids so far, the first was for Burris, and I'm going to pass. High bid for the quality of the window. The second was for Anlin Panoramic. They don't appear to be "reinforced" however, other than the description of using thicker vinyl and more inner chambers, which may in itself provide more structural rigidity.
I'm still waiting on a third.
I called Don Young to get the name of a couple of contractors to get their bids. Due to the U factor issue, should I just write them off?

Biggdan

#19 Post by Biggdan »

Would like to know which window DFW Gal ended up with. I'm currently in similar situation.

DFW Gal

#20 Post by DFW Gal »

I'm going with Sunrise Vanguard at $21K.
I could not go w $14K Don Young aluminum bc I asked my City and they said no as way off code requirements. I'm doing a completer exterior reno and I'd get caught from tattling neighbors or w all the other permit inspections.

The Sunrise Restoration were unreasonably pricey at $59K.
Restoration is only available at one area dealer and they only sell that window.

ALL my single hungs, picture and transom windows come w NRG. ALL do. And NO upcharge for any of them.

Clear glass, which I currently have, I'm told allows 80% of light in, so for me I worry I'll get too dark w the 366 which I thought means 66% of the light gets in, so a reduction of 14%.

I'm not going all w LowE 366. I'm going w the lowest LowE 180 in some rooms already in dark shade.
Some rooms will get LowE 272.
I'm matching the same LowE windows where needed for exterior compatibility.

So this drives most crazy when I say this but its true -
be aware of how green the 366 are on the outside!
Very green, look contemporary.
And forever changes your interior decorating.

I hired a exterior curb appeal and color consultant and she was right to point this out.
I went in several neighbors homes and she's right.
The 180 and 272 Low E are less green and less darkening.
Hope this helps!

Stiletto

#21 Post by Stiletto »

Here's a related post that provides further clarification on the lowE-366 VT discussion in another thread. (I know you are aware of this already DFWGal from the other thread, I'm just placing this link here for future readers of this thread, because its important.)

viewtopic.php?p=44422#p44422

The Bottom Line: when comparing VT ratings for windows equipped with a Low-E glass package, be sure to consider the VT rating of the entire window and not just the glass rating. That's really the only way to get an "apples-to-apples" true comparison from window product to window product.