Which replacement windows for North Texas (N TX)?

Share your experiences with others
DFW Gal

Which replacement windows for North Texas (N TX)?

#1 Post by DFW Gal »

Need all windows replaced for one story brick patio home in North Texas (N TX).

CURRENT:
Original SPIRAL BALANCE foggy leaky white aluminum slim profile windows with in glass grids.
22 side by side single hung, most with arch top creating LARGE windows.
14 openings with 8 having large arch top above single hungs
2 large windows face West, in mostly full sun.
N TX gets hard, huge storm rain dumps.

Ave monthly electric bill: $82
Ave monthly gas bill: $52

DESIRED:
NO grids
Cost: < $31K
Even sight lines
Attractive (to me)
Long term durability
Tempered glass where required.
Double pane single hung w arch tops
NO white for exterior. Prefer clay, sandstone, almond, tan, or light bronze exterior with white or creme interior.
Slim profile as possible. (The large wide chunky white vinyl windows installed in N TX are painful to look at)
Need some sound control in back of house - perhaps offset glass (2 glass panes with dissimilar thickness) or laminated glass?
No spiral balances ? (Don Young, per their aluminum brochure, lists spiral balances but I've read on this blog that spiral balances are NOT good.)

I have $15K - $47K range quotes from various dealers for R By Anderson, Alside Mezzo, Burris Tectview AC (for its narrow profile) and Revere Berkshire Elite, which per reading here, is same as Mezzo.

Per this site, I'm now going to look at NT, Sunrise, Soft lite and Don Young Aluminum, except I'm now concerned about Don Young's SPIRAL BALANCE as their brochure states: "Metal spiral balances for dependable smooth trouble free operation"

Help!

Windows on Washington

Re: Which replacement windows for North Texas (N TX)?

#2 Post by Windows on Washington »

DY is a well liked brand by the Texas poster on this board (Ultra Windows). If the balances are only slightly looked after, they do just fine.

DFW Gal

#3 Post by DFW Gal »

Thanks much WoW for your quick response!
Appreciate the Pros and the Helping posters here for all you do, for so many of us! Thanks.

To be clear, I've been very interested in the Don Young aluminum windows.
And that's where I was headed until I saw they had a spiral balance system.
Spiral balance is heavily dished on this board - to run away.
So I'm disappointed now that I know this (bad?) news.
Plus for my current 20 yr old aluminum spiral balance single hungs, window repair persons don't even want to come out and repair them.
They tell me to get new windows.
I'm so confused...
Are the Don Young spiral balance mechanisms - new, better, and a good balance mechanism to purchase?
I'm hoping the Texas poster Ultra Windows will stop in this thread.
Any others here with thoughts?

Windows on Washington

#4 Post by Windows on Washington »

I'm sure Randy will chime in, but I don't recall him having any issues and he has used that product over the last 10+ years to my estimation.

DFW Gal

Re: North Texas (N TX) - Which replacement windows?

#5 Post by DFW Gal »

Awesome site providing terrific service and information! Thanks so much all!!

I still really like the Don Young aluminum for its great slim profile and looks, frame strength and lasting longevity for N TX hot and at times fierce weather.

Need opinions for 28 windows noted in first post

$12K Don Young Vinyl   $430 / window
$14K Revere Berkshire Elite   $500 / window
$15K Don Young Aluminum    $535 / window
$18K NT Presidential $642 / window. No Noise Reduction Glass (NRG) offset glass option but can laminate 14 windows for $2K more.

$20K Sunrise  $714 / window Cardinal Low E 366. Noise Reduction Glass.
Dealer won't 'name' the series (Restorations, Vanguard, Verde, etc) only says it NOT the Essential.
This Sunrise does NOT have any fiberglass vertical or rail reinforcement and says its not necessary.
Is this correct?
If I read this site correctly, Restorations has both vertical and rail reinforcement. Vanguard has rail.
Is this correct?
A poster here said the Verde does not automatically come with fiberglass reinforcement.
Can I assume then his quote is for the Sunrise Verde window?

$28K Burris Tectview AC for bronze exterior/white interior. $1000/window
He said the bronze color and so many large arch top fixed picture shapes dramatically increases the price.
Is this correct?
$32K Alside Mezzo. $1142 / window. Same guy w Burris quote with large arch top fixed picture shapes dramatically increases the price.

$47K R by Anderson.  I'm not even considering

Do I need to get a building permit?
My city lists replacement windows as needing a permit.
2 dealers say not to and 1 said if city asks for it -  it'll stop his installation.

Thanks so much!

Windows on Washington

#6 Post by Windows on Washington »

How big (wide) are the windows?

DFW Gal

#7 Post by DFW Gal »

28 windows

RECTANGLE
2 SH            35W X 35H rectangle
2 SH            24W X 70H rectangle
2 SH twins   35W X 72H Rectangle
2 picture        9W X 70H rectangle

ARCHED
2 picture      35W X 92H Arched. Tempered
1 Picture      40H X 60H Arched
1 picture      24W X 36H arched top
1 picture      48W X 30H arched top

2 SH twins   35W X 70H with
2 picture      70W X 34H arched above the above 70 W X 70H SHs twins

2 SH twins   35W X 90 arched top

1 SH twin     48W X 60H lowest tempered with
1 picture      96W X 34H picture arched above the 48W X 60H SH twin

Windows on Washington

#8 Post by Windows on Washington »

Are you going back with all single hungs? If so, that abates some of my concerns about the stability of the Sunrise interlock on the larger units.

Randy

#9 Post by Randy »

Don Young does use Caldwell spiral balances in their TBA windows. They are the weak link to be sure, but we rarely have issues with them and I’ve been selling them for over 20 years. They are easily replaced and covered under the warranty. They are also adjustable. I wouldn’t let the balance weakness be a big factor in your decision making.

Even thought DFW has some harsh winter weather, I still prefer DY’s TBA to anything else that is available there. Homeowners who want narrow frames are susceptible to choosing a flimsy framed vinyl window for aesthetics and then regretting it when the windows start to bow and warp in the summer heat. The TBA windows will never bow or warp, no matter how hot it gets, and Don Young is very good about handling warranty issues.

As to permitting, many cities in Texas require permits without doing any inspections at all. It’s done for revenue and property tax documentation. While it’s “required” it’s a sham IMO. Other cities actually do inspections and are looking out for their citizens. Those are legitimate and helpful to both the homeowner and the contractor.

DFW Gal

#10 Post by DFW Gal »

Thanks so very much WoW and Randy!

WoW: "Are you going back with all single hungs? If so, that abates some of my concerns about the stability of the Sunrise interlock on the larger units."
Great question WoW as so good to make think much more!
I did learn that the Sunrise Single Hungs come with sash reinforcement. Fixed picture do not. Don't know if casements do.

On the large west facing units

Option 1: Keeping them as Single Hungs

or switch out SHs for Casements

Option 2: 2 LARGE lower twin 35W X 56H casements and 1 70W X 34H upper arched picture
1 3 piece fixed picture to match above in look: Large lower twin 35w X 72H and 1 70W X 34H upper arched.

Option 3: 2 SMALL lower twin 35W X 28H casements and 1 70W X 62H LARGE upper picture. 30 Sq Ft.
1 3 piece fixed picture to match above in look: Large lower twin 35w X 38H and 1 70W X 62H upper arched.
30 Sq Ft.
Thoughts??

Randy, You're spot on with your DFW comments. And what a search its been. And thank you as I"m now fine with the DY TBA balance. Just learned from installer, if I have to submit a permit, the DY TBAs won't pass because of some energy rating, missing it by only fractions... SIGH. HEAD SHAKING as I like them alot as fit my needs so well.

edintex

#11 Post by edintex »

Watching this closely DFW Gal as I'm in the exact same boat. Live in North DFW and having trouble deciding which way to go. Have received some very helpful advice from WoW and Randy. Would prefer slimmer window frames as well, but I have big windows and arches, too.

DFW Gal

#12 Post by DFW Gal »

edintex, I've been glued to your thread too! Thanks for it!

I'm hoping to hear back from the PROs if the Sunrise reinforced sash vinyl will hold up in my large west windows.
The Don Young Aluminum will, but if its a permit issue, won't be allowed.

Sunrise Dealer says all single hungs are sash reinforced but IDK yet on picture and I'm considering large 30 Sq Ft. picture above small casements.

OPTION 1. These all currently bid as SHs
2 70W X 90H arched. Twin SHs arched
2 70W X 105 arched. Twin SH's with arched picture top

I'm wanting to know if I can change to a different 'style look' using casements and yet avoid bowing?
Will the Sash/mulls/rails support? (Sorry, I don't know the right terminology)

OPTION 2. LARGE lower casements with picture top and faux matching picture in adjoining room
2 70W X 90H arched. Twin lower 35W X 56H casements with 70W X 34H arch picture top
2 70W X 105 arched. 3 piece fixed picture with horizontal/vertical frames to exactly match above in look.

OPTION 3. SMALL lower casements with LARGE 30 Sq Ft. picture top and matching faux picture in adjoining room.
2 70W X 90H arched. Twin lower 35W X 28H casements with 70W X 62H LARGE upper picture which = 30 Sq Ft.
2 70W X 105 arched. 3 piece fixed picture with horizontal/ vertical frames to exactly match above in look.

Sorry, I don't mean to wear ya'll out !
I'm not finding these answers from local dealers so am seeking help from the experts!
Its my chance to jazz up my home and I don't want to just put in SH's because that's the 'normal' order it seems.

TheWindowNerd

#13 Post by TheWindowNerd »

Most of the early windows I installed 35 years ago had Caldwel spiral balances. They are not a problem because they are easy to adjust, easy to find, easy to replace, if you are a pro.
Based on having sold a few jobs years ago in DFW I too would suggest the DY windows due to the size and frame thickness. TRACO used to make a great TBA window, nicest one I ever touched.
theWindowNerd.com

DFW Gal

#14 Post by DFW Gal »

Thanks so much all! Y'all are awesome!

DY TBAs:
I understand the DY TBAs are a good window choice.
At UF .38, the DY TBAs are .03 decimals off of meeting my city's .35 UF permit code.
SIGH. UF is not that important in lots of TX.
Some cities do send inspectors out to confirm work done matches permit.
If install without a permit and not discovered by city, Realtors say non permitted work will be discovered at time of sale and will have to be rectified by seller.
I assume all TX buyers may face what to do - permit or not?

SUNRISE:
Any of you install both SHs and DHs?

Are the frame styles different?

The SH model I saw has clear clean exterior lines, a more TRANSitional look, meaning can look good /appropriate on most homes. This is the look I prefer.

The DH model I saw has extra exterior trim moulding making it a much more TRADitional look.

But, when driving by Sunrise installed addresses, some windows did not appear to have an upper screen, so I assumed they were SHs which looked to have the same exterior extra traditional trim as the DHs.

So I'm asking if you know if the SHs have a different frame than the DHs?

TheWindowNerd

#15 Post by TheWindowNerd »

Usually the window comes as a standard with half screen on a DH, full screen is an upgrade.
In TX the shade from a full screen and ability to open/vent upper sash, and full tilt n clean function all seem like good choices with DH.