Replacing 19 Year Old RBA Windows

Share your experiences with others
ocnetgeek

Replacing 19 Year Old RBA Windows

#1 Post by ocnetgeek »

19 Years ago we replaced all of the Windows in our house with RBA Windows and they were a huge improvement on the Build Grade Weather Shield Windows that were installed when we built the house. We have decided to replace our windows now for a number of reasons. We have one Window that has lost it's seal and you can barely see through at this time. I think that they would still replace that under the 20 year Glass Warranty if I contacted them but we have other issues driving our decision so I have not pursue that. We have a number of large casement windows and the mechanism for opening/closing them has not held up well. I do not know what improvements they have made in 19 years but on ours the crank mechanisms are stripping and we actually have to push some of them from the outside to get them to close. I have also decided that this time the windows will be Vinyl with no wood. The RBA windows looked very nice when they were first installed but over time we have had issues with condensation on the windows that have caused discoloration and degradation of the wood veneer that was on top of the Fibrex material. We normally keep our house at around 40% humidity in Winter. Again I do not know what changes may have been made in the windows since we had ours installed. I just did not expect to be looking at Window replacement 19 years after installing what I believed was a premium brand at the time.

I started looking at window replacement at a recent remodelers show and made the mistake of inviting a high pressure sales person to be the first quote we received. The salesman actually spent more time trying to convince me that I needed to sign then and there then he did telling me why the product was superior. After I finally got him to leave and made it clear that I was going to look at several different products and companies I got a call from the Salesmans manager on a Sunday morning to try and convince me some more. I threw their information out and started from scratch. I setup meetings with several different companies that claimed to be low/no pressure and they were true to their word. I also spent a lot of time reading reviews and posts here and on other forums about replacement windows to try and get a handle on what the best window was for my application. I ended up narrowing my search down to two companies that I felt had done a good job of answering my questions and looked at their proposals. One company kind of confused me though since they came back with three different options. The options they provided were Ply-Gem, Simonton, and ProVia. I ended up deciding not to go with this company because I was not convinced that any of those were the best Window for me. In the end I have decided to go with Himark 1000 by Okna Windows from HomeSealed as they seem to be great windows and the company has an excellent reputation.

Windows on Washington

Re: Replacing 19 Year Old RBA Windows

#2 Post by Windows on Washington »

Well...there probably isn't a better combination of product and shop to install, so you are in good hands. Let us know how it goes.

TheWindowNerd

Re: Replacing 19 Year Old RBA Windows

#3 Post by TheWindowNerd »

I agree with WoW.
Brandon and team are good people.