several options for vinyl windows on 1961 home

Share your experiences with others
av-geek

several options for vinyl windows on 1961 home

#1 Post by av-geek »

My wife and I are exploring several options to upgrade the windows in our 1961 vintage tri-level home, and wanted some opinions on what we looked into. We have 12 double-hung windows 43in wide X 38in tall we are looking to replace in our brick house.

1: DIY purchase from Lowe's Pella 350 series. This option is about $500 per window. I used similar windows on a 1951 built house I flipped 10 years ago. I actually ended up living the the house for about a year or so because it didn't sell. Despite some of the negative reviews online, the windows in this house did a pretty good job. Only during a bitter cold snap where temps were around 3 degrees F could I even tell that the windows felt cold. They really tightened up the house, but I'm unsure of the longevity of the windows. Driving by the house, looks like the new owners are still using them. Due to family / time obligations now that I"m married, I'm looking to have someone install them for me this time maybe.

2: Slocomb "Xtreme5" installed by HCR (homefix Custom Remodeling) They quoted me the "Xtreme5" windows, which I have not found much, if any information for this specific model online. Slocomb, as a whole seems to be a well regarded brand, and during the sales rep demonstration, the windows definitely looked superior to the Pella windows I used on my old home noted above. They also quoted 3 awning style windows that are in bathrooms to install in place of crank-out windows. The total of about $1200 per window. This seems rather high, but they hire their own labor on a salery basis full time, and they have a great warranty, and the spec's are good with a U-value of 22, and an air leakage value of .3 This may be out of our budget though. Does this price seem high for the work done or is it simply because it's such a great product? (If it is this good, we may just get SOME of the windows done at this time till we can afford more)

3: Alside installed by Window World: We actually had a bow window, and a non-climate controlled porch done by Window World a year or so back after we came to a friend at our church for an estimate. We were not looking for anything fancy for the porch, but have been very well pleased at the performance of the bottom line sliding windows they installed. The bow window was one of their top of the line models. Again, the installers did a great job on this window too. So much so, that our across-street neighbor with an identical window had one installed too. We had a few really cold, and windy nights, and I actually sat in the bow part of the window reading, and didn't feel the least bit cold. We had this done prior to knowing the unscrupulous reputation of Window World, or even knowing their windows were made by Alside, but have still be quite satisified. I know their double-hung windows can be a completely different ballgame, but what about their higher grade models beyond their "cheapie $299 a window" models? We are scheduled to get a quote from them later this week.

Windows on Washington

Re: several options for vinyl windows on 1961 home

#2 Post by Windows on Washington »

1. Not a terrible window, but not in the class of really good ones either if you ask me. Can you do worse, sure. Can you do better, definitely. Not a fan of anything pocket sill and last I checked, the 350 was a pocket sill which is a non starter for me.

2. Been a while since I have seen that window, but I seem to recall it was pretty good. The idea of sub contractor labor vs. employee labor is vastly overstated and if you are dealing with a quality shop, has ZERO bearing.

3. Rather see you do option 2 vs. 3 here.

HomeSealed

#3 Post by HomeSealed »

*First and foremost, in the area that HCR serves, you may be served by the gentleman that commented above me. If so, you should definitely reach out to Windows on Washington. Better performing product than anything that you have seen, and a top notch organization run by great people...

In the even that you are slightly outside of their service area...
1) This window is an improvement over what Pella used to offer, but still not a great performer. If I'm not mistaken its a pocket sill design as well that evacuates water through the frame, this is an outdated and problematic design. Sounds like you aren't thinking DIY, so perhaps this one is moot anyway?

2) Better window and option, although still not top tier IMO. .22 is not a great U value for triple pane. The air leakage is better than the .3 that you mentioned, (that is the minimum/worst acceptable to be certified), but again I think that product has much better number than that if still not elite. Someone else may be able to comment on the exact rating. On the price, that really isn't outside of the normal range these days, much has changed since 10 years ago when you last replaced windows. It may be on the high end for the most basic of window options and installations, but with triple pane, and a few other product options and/or install complications, its not crazy high by any means for a good product from a good company.

3) Going the wrong way on this one IMO. Downstream product, and low cost install. Bargain model type companies generally pay their installers a fraction of what others pay, and in this skilled labor shortage, that does not bode well for potential quality. Years ago guys(installers) could justify it by saying "yeah but I ALWAYS have work", but good quality guys are able to say the same and for top dollar with other companies these days. Its a lot easier to install better quality windows as well... not much appeal there for talented installers.

Overall, option 2 seems to be your best of this group, but again, if Windows on Washington serves your area I suspect that you'd be able to get a better window and quite possibly a little bit better price.

av-geek

#4 Post by av-geek »

Heres a photo of the energy star sticker on the slocomb demo model. I am in Richmond VA, so may be too far south for W.o.W. work area
Attachments
20200224_183618.jpg

Windows on Washington

#5 Post by Windows on Washington »

Tiny bit outside my coverage area as of today. Shoot me an email and I will put you on an email with a guy in that region that I send all my referrals to.

Eric

Enovotny@windowsonwashington.net

Windows on Washington

#6 Post by Windows on Washington »

On the second product, I can't even find them on the NFRC any longer. Might have been when they purged out some of the old codes. Either way, that 0.22 number in the double pane is pretty good, but it comes as a result of a surface 4 low-e which is a "no-no" in my book. Too many issues with interior condensation and the trade offs.

If you want to go below the 0.28/0.29 range in double pane, the recommendation is just to go to triple at that point. At the number quoted, my friend in Richmond can definitely get you in a triple pane product to be certain.