Resale Value: Wood vs. Vinyl

Share your experiences with others
MUSGROVE

Resale Value: Wood vs. Vinyl

#1 Post by MUSGROVE »

I am located in the metro Atlanta, GA area. My house is 11 years old. The builder windows are wood double-hung double paned. The sash 'hardware' is a vinyl looking track that the window can pop in and out of. Over the years the windows no longer stay closed at the top and sag open to varying degrees even if the lock is engaged. On some I can no longer engage the lock because edges of the windows don't meet evenly. I am a single woman homeowner with little knowledge of windows. So, I don't know if there is a way to repair them, if I need sash replacement kits or total replacement. Then there is the question of what kind of windows. All the homes in my neighborhood have these wood windows. If I go with vinyl replacement or vinyl sash replacement kits, will a negatively affect my resale value?

The other issue is that some windows are just fine. So, I am concerned about a missmatch look if I replace only some.

Oh, and my house is cement stucco in the front and cement siding in the back.

I'd love to hear any opinions/ guidance you may have for me.

Skydawggy.

#2 Post by Skydawggy. »

The best advice I can give you is to get out and visit a few places that carry windows. Look at the features and options and decide which are important. Decide how much you have to spend and buy the best window you can get in your price range.

windowmann2000

#3 Post by windowmann2000 »

Most cost vs resale dollars provided by real estate people show brand name wood products return substantially higher returns. It also cost more to replace with brand names, so your net dollars don't change much. If your going to replace just a few windows, I would stay with wood, but if your plans are to swap them all out give vinyl some strong considerations. Premium viny products do out perform brand name wood windows.