Gorell window issue

Share your experiences with others
rthewitt3

Gorell window issue

#1 Post by rthewitt3 »

Anyone have problems with Gorell windows leaking around the sash gaskets, or holding water in the sash after a rainstorm, or getting black mold in between the glass panes?

sheshopsalot

Re: Gorell window issue

#2 Post by sheshopsalot »

Sounds like a warranty issue

Windows on Washington

#3 Post by Windows on Washington »

Post a picture up. Design defect? Maybe they are knowingly misleading their customers? :lol:

Class action suit.

Window4U (IL)
Location: Sales and Installation in Chicagoland and Central Illinois

#4 Post by Window4U (IL) »

"Unfortunately, we will probably see some of the same industry apologists stepping up to defend Okna (and Gorell) as they did with Schuco because they have a financial interest in sweeping this under the rug as soon as possible."
I've got some major dirt on Simonton I've been sitting on for years. Let's do them next. :lol: :lol: :lol:

XSleeper

#5 Post by XSleeper »

the biggest problem we have had with Gorell windows is that the screens on their double hungs do not let water drain out fast enough in a hard driving rain. What seems to be happening is that the sill fills up with about an inch of water and if you have a high wind, it will force that water around the sash and leak into the home.

i have never been a fan of gorell's exterior glazing strips that are not sealed at the corner miters either. But I don't believe we have had any call backs related to that. Another potential problem, the last time I was out changing a sash in a casement, I removed the screws that hold the metal hinge plates to the frame, and the masterframe was full of water- the empty screw holes were full of water. Not good.

buddy11

#6 Post by buddy11 »

rthewitt3 wrote:Anyone have problems with Gorell windows leaking around the sash gaskets, or holding water in the sash after a rainstorm, or getting black mold in between the glass panes?
In their tilt in sliders yes. Not in the DH's as you're experiencing

fenestrationman

#7 Post by fenestrationman »

Concerning the Gorell issues. The sash are either 2 side adhesive foam tape or wet glazed depending on when they were built. Both have proven track records in the industry. Little chance of leakage due to the fact that the systems are fully welded and exterior drop glazed. The sash and some masterframe sills are wept to let any water that gets into the system get out. Just like the door on your car or truck. I have seen failed glass units from Gorell and others, but not black mold that you refer - interesting.
Getting to the casement. It sounds like this is unit with an intergral mullion, or two, with at least two sash. If so, what is happening is water getting around the sash to drain to the exterior is weeping into the masterframe through the intergral mullion assembly holes. What I have done in the past is to drill a 3/16" dia hole on the exterior face of the sill masterframe to act as a weep hole. I also sealed the integral mullion the the masterframe joint.
Gorell is sealing this in the shop now.

padkins

#8 Post by padkins »

Hi I bought over 20 windows from Gorell and now have 8 of them that the seal is broken and mildew looks like it is growing between the panes. Please advise how to have my windows repaired, replaced or covered under a law suit

HomeSealed

#9 Post by HomeSealed »

Have you contacted the dealer that installed them? That would be the first course of action. If they are not around anymore, you can contact Softlite-Gorell to see how to proceed. There are not any lawsuits that I know of.