My Window Reviews for Massachusetts

Share your experiences with others
needwindowhelp

Re: My Window Reviews for Massachusetts

#16 Post by needwindowhelp »

Ah, one more question please!

Is there a difference between Restorations Windows and Sunrise Windows or are the same thing?

restorationswindows.com/restdh.html

sunrisewindows.com/doublehung.html#shinfo

Thank You!

Delaware Mike

#17 Post by Delaware Mike »

The Restorations series will give you several upgrades over the regular Sunrise series. Both double-hung series are built with the same sash and master frame extrusions. The Restorations series will have foam filled sashes and frames, the regular Sunrise series has one but not both. I can't remember if the foam is in the sash or master frame? I think it's the frame?

Accidental glass breakage is standard on the Restorations as is the new OptiView screening. Both of these options are up charges for the regular series. The main difference would be that the locking and tilting mechanism on the Restorations is combined into the locks, thus you don't have the tilt latches on the top of the sashes that you would commonly find on most double-hung windows.

Some Restoration dealers my have a loaded up triple-configuration with a self cleaning glass coating as a package to help justify their price.

needwindowhelp

#18 Post by needwindowhelp »

Hi Mike,

Good info...thanks! I read your first two paragraphs and figured that the Restorations are the way to go. Then I read your final line about Restorations marking up their price. Do you not like the Restorations window? I've met with Andersen and Champion, and wasn't impressed with either. I'm looking for an energy efficient vinyl window, which blocks noise well, and has a smaller frame so more window shows, and tilt-in for cleaning. It has to come in a dark brown outside to match the rest of the building. Do you recommend something other than the Restorations?

Thanks for your help!

Delaware Mike

#19 Post by Delaware Mike »

I really like the Restorations series. Some of the dealers, but not all by no means, love to have a line like the Restorations in a protected territory. I don't have a problem with that. But, when they try to charge folks $1,200 plus per window for vinyl with no out of the ordinary installation circumstances, well it just doesn't make the product a good investment. We do the Vanguard series which is basically one step below the Restorations and it is pretty much the same window except for the locks.

copykatpro

#20 Post by copykatpro »

+1 to pondscum's response. I'm very happy with my decision.

HomeSealed

#21 Post by HomeSealed »

I believe that the Restorations non-metallic reinforcement is not available in the regular Sunrise either. The market that you're in will determine what is available. For instance around here, the Restorations dealer is one of those $1200 per opening companies, however they do so much volume that Sunrise won't sell the Vanguard or anything else even close in this market. You can get the standard Sunrise, but even that is unreasonably priced from the distributor to discourage competition. There are other excellent windows like the Softlite Imperial LS/Elements, or the PlyGem Lifestyles (similar design to the Sunrise).

windowinsider

#22 Post by windowinsider »

Very nice thread to read... kudos to the posters. Congrats, Copykat, on being patient and covering your bases.

nico546

#23 Post by nico546 »

I'm in the same situation as you guys, just 5 years later... :D
So think it is worth asking again about the windows and the installer.
Are you still happy with your choices?
Thanks!

Richard1234

#24 Post by Richard1234 »

Good Morning. Could anyone recommend an OKNA Window installer in the Boston area? I have been researching on this board, GardenWeb, etc., and this window seems to get great reviews. Also, if anyone has information on this brand that they would share. Thanks :-)

Windows on Washington

#25 Post by Windows on Washington »

Peter,

You will probably have more luck condensing your questions into one thread that is started by you.