People's Products - HR40 Windows

Share your experiences with others
Junai

People's Products - HR40 Windows

#1 Post by Junai »

I live in CT and am shopping for replacement windows for the first time. I have 11 1950's aluminum sliders and one picture window I'm looking to replace with up to date, efficient windows per the Fed Tax Credit standards - http://www.energystar.gov/index.cfm?c=t ... s.tx_index.

The first company to contact me was a local firm called People's Products who tote the HR40 as their premier window (many styles) -

Does anyone know anything about this company or their products? A few Goggle reviews show that people are generally very happy with the windows and installation but there are hints that they will cost a bit more than average.

Thanks all,

Junai

Re: People's Products - HR40 Windows

#2 Post by Junai »

Yeah, I won't be having service from these guys. I tried 3 times to have a scheduled estimate and kept getting blown off each time with either a late call or no phone call to let me know they weren't coming.

Oh well,

DrB

#3 Post by DrB »

I am having Peoples Products replace the '70s wood windows presently in my home with their HR40 suspended film vinyl inserts. First, the salesman was very informed about his products and listened to why the windows needed replacing. Second, the vinyl replacement windows are installed in the original window casements (what shape are they in after 50 years?) so air infiltration depends on the original installation quality ( was the casement properly insulated and sealed?). I decided to paint the house before the window replacement and found serious rotting on several casements (does the installer care, or just cover it up with flashing?) Third, the vinyl inserts and installations will cost well over $1000 dollars each window and are said to reduce the home fuel consumption by about 20% per year. The window seems good, but the installer needs to be pushed for these questions.
I will post again after the work is done.

DrB

#4 Post by DrB »

The windows were promised to be installed by the last week in October and were finally installed the last week of December. I had to cancel a holiday vacation at the last minute because the 3 times I contacted Peoples Products they kept apologizing for the delay and promised it would be soon. I gave up and canceled our vacation since Peoples had 1/2 the money of the install I wasn't going to let the install be put off beyond the end of the year. They must have heard me BOIL.
The person that installed the 13 windows had to work in way below freezing weather, but worked a solid, 2, 8 hour days. I only know he was appreciated by me.
The finished product looked great from the outside and inside except inside their 1/4 round trim was smeared with silicone caulk and can't be stained to match the rest of the window. I will have to try matching the stain with paint and hope the paint adheres to the silicone.
I don't know how my experience with Peoples Products compares with other installers, but at least the people that read this review will know more than the company was volunteering to divulge to me.
I have no complaints with the windows at this time, but they will not pay for themselves in five years as the salesman claimed.

HomeSealed

#5 Post by HomeSealed »

I'm honestly not familiar with the company or product so I won't comment specifically on that, but two things I will address:

-No window will ever pay for itself in 5 yrs of energy savings. Perhaps if you consider the added value to your home combined with energy savings you are getting closer, but in general, selling windows based on "paying for themselves" in energy savings is a questionable sales tactic to put it mildly.

-The silicone will not be paintable. Putting silicone on wood that needs to be painted or stained is a bone-head move. I'd have them come back out and replace that.

Window4U (IL)
Location: Sales and Installation in Chicagoland and Central Illinois

#6 Post by Window4U (IL) »

HomeSealed wrote:I'm honestly not familiar with the company or product so I won't comment specifically on that, but two things I will address:

-No window will ever pay for itself in 5 yrs of energy savings. Perhaps if you consider the added value to your home combined with energy savings you are getting closer, but in general, selling windows based on "paying for themselves" in energy savings is a questionable sales tactic to put it mildly.

-The silicone will not be paintable. Putting silicone on wood that needs to be painted or stained is a bone-head move. I'd have them come back out and replace that.
Unless of course it's "GE Silicone 2". Then it's paintable.

masterext
Location: Window Pro-Serves All of Northern New Jersey. Bergen, Morris, Union, Essex, Passaic, Sussex Counties

#7 Post by masterext »

Just have them use Quad and call it a day. Quad covers every potential issue i can think of.

DrB

#8 Post by DrB »

What is Quad?

Windows on Washington

#9 Post by Windows on Washington »

DrB wrote:What is Quad?
Exterior sealant.

http://www.osipro.com/quad-color-cross-reference.pl

Delaware Mike

#10 Post by Delaware Mike »

When I bid a job I pretty much assume the homeowner isn't going to want to attempt staining or painting new interior trim stops up against a vinyl window that we just installed. Since, I don't use subs and don't mind doing it myself, I can predict the outcome pertaining to the finished appearance of the stops. I carry a Minwax stain board in my trucks to match things up.

I can't even begin to comprehend why your installer face siliconed the new stops if they're were clear pine? I've seen this a lot in my area with butcher hack installs.

Delaware Mike

#11 Post by Delaware Mike »

LOL!!!!! No, it's more like Riggs (Mel Gibson) in Lethal Weapon 1. "It's the work that keeps me going, it's all I have!" Or, something like that? When I come home all I do is get yelled at, so I like to work as long as possible…………..

When she sees me open on the laptop and go on a window website after installing all day, the yelling is typically followed by me getting a good beating too.