Vinyl vs. aluminum

Share your experiences with others
clawie

Vinyl vs. aluminum

#1 Post by clawie »

I have to replace some stationary and casement windows. I was told I can only replace with vinyl replacement - problem is I don't like vinyl windows. The house originally was built with aluminium windows and truthfully I like the clean look inside and out. What are my options?

Windows on Washington

Re: Vinyl vs. aluminum

#2 Post by Windows on Washington »

Why is aluminum no longer an option? They certainly make good aluminum replacement windows.

HomeSealed

#3 Post by HomeSealed »

Where do you live? That will strongly influence the availability and effectiveness of aluminum as a window choice. Up here in WI, there are very few aluminum windows available (residential), and those that I have seen invariably have frost on the interior in the winter.... In hotter climates, aluminum is a better choice.

Randy

#4 Post by Randy »

Thermally-broken aluminum windows are a good choice for homes in the deep south. As Homesealed said, not so good in the north.

clawie

#5 Post by clawie »

Thanks for replying - I live in So. California

jeff1995

#6 Post by jeff1995 »

I.W.C. went out of business and were the most reasonable cost of that product. The only other alum. company that I know of is 'Fleetwood'. Milgard does not offer a alum. thermal-broken product on the West Coast.

clawie

#7 Post by clawie »

Forgot to ask in previous post. Some contractors state aluminum window replacements are only used in new construction because unlike vinyl windows, they require restuccoing - true?

Windows on Washington

#8 Post by Windows on Washington »

Not true.

There are more stucco flange type windows available in vinyl, however, you can still do an insert install with an aluminum window.

Does Don Young go out to the West coast? Randy knows that product very well.

clawie

#9 Post by clawie »

Great news! Now to restate 1. Aluminum windows are ok in my region, and 2. They are available with flange suitable for replacement without having to restucco - correct? Now who is Randy?

Randy

#10 Post by Randy »

Unfortunately, Don Young windows are not available California, or even Arizona. There are most likely some other good options in thermally-broken aluminum, if you look around. Milgard makes some aluminum windows, that are definitely available there.

As to the stucco issue, are the installers wanting to use a vinyl window with a z-bar? Here's a video that shows the installation method with it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QbwSRYLWjEo

If that's what they're trying to do, I don't think there are any aluminum windows that offer it.

Windows on Washington

#11 Post by Windows on Washington »

Frame Jump, Z-Bar, Stucco flange, etc.

I don't know of an aluminum window with and integral flange, however, there are clip in Z-Bar flanges if I am not mistaken.

TLHWINDOW

#12 Post by TLHWINDOW »

There are a few (very) aluminum windows that offer at intergal fin, they are mostly for block house is what we use them for.

The flange is usually 5/8 of an inch all the way around.

If you have stucco and don't want to replace then I suggest "frame jumping".

Jimmy Buffalo

#13 Post by Jimmy Buffalo »

clawie

What's not to like about Vinyl? If you have some bigger companies/manufacturer's in your area you should have a myriad of colors and options available in Vinyl. If a Vinyl is Higher Quality (Meaning it's not cheap recycled Vinyl - you can tell if a Vinyl window is cheap by it's Blue or Yellowish tint) it will stand up to punishment for many years. Then you also have the option of Wood-Clad Windows. (Wood Windows with some kind of Vinyl, Fiberglass, or Metallic exterior Coating)

Problem with Aluminum is that it's fairly conductive. It will not insulate as well as Vinyl, or Wood, or Fiberglass. Even with a Thermal Break or Multiple Panes of insulated glass.

-JB

TLHWINDOW

#14 Post by TLHWINDOW »

You can tell a cheap window by its Color? Man you are good.....

Not.

HomeSealed

#15 Post by HomeSealed »

I dunno TLH, I'd have to agree with JB that most cheapo vinyl window have a "blue-ish" hue. Just go check out the Silverlines, etc compared to a decent product.... Obviously its not the "end-all, be-all" of window quality, but I thought it was a fair statement.