Marvin Infinity alternatives?

Share your experiences with others
dogmom

Marvin Infinity alternatives?

#1 Post by dogmom »

We are buying a house with lots of rotted Pozzi wood casement windows. Very sad since the house is only 12 years old. it appears that some of the windows were never properly painted (painted with window closed, so you can see bare wood when you open the sash). We are reluctant to repair and replace the existing windows even though some are ok for fear of ongoing maintenance issues, and also because Pozzi/Jeld-wen appears to be going out of business. There was also apparently a manufacturing issue with the windows because about half of the sashes were replaced under warranty in 05 and some of those have even failed again. We are hoping to replace ALL windows - complete tear out. I think we would like to replace with Marvin Infinity if we can afford it. It is a large house with a LOT of windows, so I'm worried the price for the Marvins might be too high. I would like suggestions for other options - maybe clad wood - pella proline has been suggested but I get the feeling that may not be a good choice. We would like good performance, good warranty, and low/no maintenance. Windows will be white color in and out. Are there any vinyl casements worth even considering? I've seen the pella vinyl casements at Lowes and they looked horrible to me. Regardless of the window choice, this will be a very large expenditure and a lot of labor, so I want to choose a quality product without going broke and with money left to fix other issues with this house. House is in Indiana. Thanks for any advice.

Lisa

Windows on Washington

Re: Marvin Infinity alternatives?

#2 Post by Windows on Washington »

Complete tear out or completely replace all the the windows. They are two different terms.

dogmom

#3 Post by dogmom »

Windows on Washington wrote:Complete tear out or completely replace all the the windows. They are two different terms.
Sorry, I want the interior casing and exterior brick mould removed, the window sashes and frames removed and hauled away, new complete windows and frames installed in the bare studs, new maintenance free brick mould, new/replaced interior casing. What is that called?

If I say "replace the windows" does that term just mean new sashes?

Lisa

EcoStar Remodeling

#4 Post by EcoStar Remodeling »

No, if you wanted just new sashes, it would be a sash pack. If you were using an insert window it would be a replacement window. What you are describing is a complete tear-out and installing a new construction window. BTW, the term "new construction" doesn't mean lower quality. In fact most manufacturers of replacement windows offer their product in a new construction configuration.

dogmom

#5 Post by dogmom »

EcoStar Remodeling wrote:No, if you wanted just new sashes, it would be a sash pack. If you were using an insert window it would be a replacement window. What you are describing is a complete tear-out and installing a new construction window. BTW, the term "new construction" doesn't mean lower quality. In fact most manufacturers of replacement windows offer their product in a new construction configuration.
Oh, so you are saying it's not a replacement window at all? I'm on the wrong message board?

Lisa

dogmom

#6 Post by dogmom »

EcoStar Remodeling wrote:No, if you wanted just new sashes, it would be a sash pack. If you were using an insert window it would be a replacement window. What you are describing is a complete tear-out and installing a new construction window. BTW, the term "new construction" doesn't mean lower quality. In fact most manufacturers of replacement windows offer their product in a new construction configuration.
And sorry for being an idiot, but "insert window" is a window that goes in the old window frame, but the insert has a frame of it's own too? Does Marvin Infinity not come in a new construction type window - something that would install in the studs without the old window frame?

Lisa

dogmom

#7 Post by dogmom »

I found this on the Marvin Infinity site:
http://www.infinitywindows.com/?page=installed-for-you
"Full-Frame Replacement
This installation method is appropriate when your entire window has deteriorated and needs replacement or if you are looking for a completely new window size, style or appearance. With full frame replacement, the entire window (sash, frame and casing) is removed and replaced."

Is this not what I want, and if so, does this differ from a new construction window?

Thanks, I thought I had my terms straight, but maybe not. I was relying on this article for information about the types of replacement:
http://www.finehomebuilding.com/PDF/Free/021166052.pdf

Lisa

EcoStar Remodeling

#8 Post by EcoStar Remodeling »

Yes, your understanding is correct. You want a full frame replacement.

HomeSealed

#9 Post by HomeSealed »

I think you have it now dogmom, :wink: .... Don't worry, even the pros don't always use the same terms so it can be kind of confusing. On your original question, if you are looking for a white on white window that will be low maintenance, I'd suggest high quality vinyl as the best value. A few top brands are Okna, Gorell, Sunrise, and Softlite. The Infinity is very nice as well, although you will likely will pay a premium. There are very nice wood windows as well (if you are looking at Pella I'd get nothing less than the Architect Series), but why get wood if you are going to paint it anyway? You'll pay more, get lesser performance, lesser warranty, and more maintenance.

dogmom

#10 Post by dogmom »

HomeSealed wrote:There are very nice wood windows as well (if you are looking at Pella I'd get nothing less than the Architect Series), but why get wood if you are going to paint it anyway? You'll pay more, get lesser performance, lesser warranty, and more maintenance.
What windows do the best job of looking like a good wood window? I've read good things about the Marvin Infinity, but are there any good quality vinyl windows that do a good job of looking like a wood window? Like I said, I looked at the pella vinyl casements in Lowes and thought they looked terrible - the corners didn't fit together well, etc. I also wonder about vinyl casements - will they all have significantly less glass than a wood or fiberglass window due to the lesser strenght of the vinyl. Is vinyl poorly suited for casements?

Lisa

Randy

#11 Post by Randy »

Sunrise makes one of the nicest vinyl casements in the business. I'd recommend taking a look at them.

If you're interested in fiberglass, Inline Fiberglass makes the highest performing fiberglass windows.

HomeSealed

#12 Post by HomeSealed »

I agree with Randy... I would suggest that you take a look at some of the premium vinyl offerings and see what you think. The pella vinyl sold at "box" stores is a very poor representative of a vinyl window. As for your question on how suitable vinyl is for casements, it is very much so. Anyone who has suggested otherwise is using scare tactics. A high quality vinyl casement will offer the best performance of any type of operating window that you could install in your home. Glass loss is minimal.

Windows on Washington

#13 Post by Windows on Washington »

I have been away for a bit but you sorted through it nicely and I would echo the two previous posts.

Don't be scared away from vinyl because of the cheap offerings that are out there.

If really want the look and feel of wood, that is going to narrow your scope but not eliminate some other windows from consideration.

Keep us posted.

jlwebster

#14 Post by jlwebster »

Dogmom, I am in a very similar window situation. Have you made any choices? Please let me know if you have and how it has worked out. I was sold on the Marvin Infinity, but the price blew me away. I am in the Madison WI area and would love recommendations. Thanks.

dogmom

#15 Post by dogmom »

jlwebster,

I decided premium vinyl was the way to go, but the deal fell through on the short sale house we were trying to buy - so we never got the house which needed the replacement windows. The premium vinyl looked identical to clad wood on the outside. On the inside, you could see the small weld seams in the corners, but I decided that wasn't very noticable and not worth paying a premium for the marvins to avoid it. When you look at your windows from the inside, you mostly see the glass, the jamb liner, and the casing. The frame around the sash that has the welded corners is not too obvious in the big picture - especially if you have blinds in the window. I was also able to find vinyl windows that offered larger GBGs. There are several manufacturers that offer great lifetime warranties on the vinyl windows too. Sunrise was one of the brands I was considering, but they didn't have the large GBGs.