Who is satisfied with their windows?

Share your experiences with others
Cassandra2

Who is satisfied with their windows?

#1 Post by Cassandra2 »

Please describe in detail. Brand, etc, how was it installed; Do it yourself? Private installer? Company installation? How much per window? Were they vinyl, clad, fiberglass? How long have you had them? This forum seems to be about people who HATED their windows or people who just don't have a clue yet.

Windows on Washington

Re: Who is satisfied with their windows?

#2 Post by Windows on Washington »

Cassandra,

Unfortunately, most customers come on the boards, research until their heads want to explode, and hopefully wind up with a more carefully chosen window and contractor (hopefully resulting in a better installation and finished project).

Many folks don't post back after the fact but if you dig back far enough in the boards, you will find some after the installation feedback postings.

Have you narrowed your window search down to a few brands?

kdon00

#3 Post by kdon00 »

I live in Massachusetts and recently (April 2012) installed 24 vinyl replacement windows in my house, replacing 30 year old wood windows. So far I'm totally happy with them.
Total cost of installation (including the cost of the windows) was $9,000 plus about $600 more for some sill repair and trim board replacement. The windows were $225 each and the install was $150 per window.
The contractor gave me a bid up front that included an hourly rate for any repairs and materials at cost. He would not do any painting, so I handled that myself on the repairs.
I researched all these discussion boards and talked to everyone I could find about windows. Finally went with Simonton 5500 and landed a quality contractor to install.

Here's what I now know:
1) Get a quality contractor and check references. I interviewed 3 different guys and quizzed the heck out of them about how they install, insulation choices, disposal, trouble shooting, whether they have a preference of the window they install, etc. I landed with a guy that was more expensive than the other 2 ($150 per window to install vs. $100 per window from the other 2), but had recently done work for someone I know and was totally satisfied. He did a great job for me, and it took him 2 days longer than he thought. He did NOT charge me more than the original bid.

2) Every contractor has a preferred window and will tell you the virtues of that window.
3) Find a company that is going to be around if you need them, and has a quality product. From someone I trust in the industry, they directed me to Simonton from both a quality standpoint and best bang for the buck.
4) You can find bad reviews for EVERY window on the market, and they can't all be that bad.
5) Finally - a quality window installed poorly is as good as buying a crappy window.

I hope that helps!!!

2JV7PBUDDY

#4 Post by 2JV7PBUDDY »

Who is satisfied with their windows? I want to install Alpine brand windows, about 15 of them,,,but I would like to know from someone if these windows will be ok or ?

Window4U (IL)
Location: Sales and Installation in Chicagoland and Central Illinois

#5 Post by Window4U (IL) »

2JV7PBUDDY wrote:Who is satisfied with their windows? I want to install Alpine brand windows, about 15 of them,,,but I would like to know from someone if these windows will be ok or ?
If I remember correctly it's the same window as Alside/Revere/AMI. Do some researching here on those names and you will find more reviews on them.

elsieblais

#6 Post by elsieblais »

I have recently renovated my home, and I'm satisfied with the vinly installation.

masterext
Location: Window Pro-Serves All of Northern New Jersey. Bergen, Morris, Union, Essex, Passaic, Sussex Counties

#7 Post by masterext »

elsieblais wrote:I have recently renovated my home, and I'm satisfied with the vinly installation.
Very strange first ever post. Wonder when the spam starts.