conservation windows

Share your experiences with others
eveski

conservation windows

#1 Post by eveski »

conservation windows....has anyone ever heard of them? We had a presentation from an eco green company and the window did look and prove some tests. also they guarentee a 40% decrease in energy cost.

HomeSealed

Re: conservation windows

#2 Post by HomeSealed »

eveski wrote:also they guarentee a 40% decrease in energy cost.
That is an immediate disqualifier. Those guarantees are baseless and misleading. The FTC just took action against several companies making those claims, and states' attorneys' general have as well.

Randy

#3 Post by Randy »

HomeSealed wrote:
eveski wrote:also they guarentee a 40% decrease in energy cost.
That is an immediate disqualifier. Those guarantees are baseless and misleading. The FTC just took action against several companies making those claims, and states' attorneys' general have as well.
I agree. Run!!!!

Windows on Washington

#4 Post by Windows on Washington »

+1

Anyone making those type of claims is completely full of it and should be automatically disqualified. Unless half of your windows are broken and open, those numbers will never come to fruition.

eveski

#5 Post by eveski »

Yes I knew it was a danger sign but the windows seemed Really good....with a heat lamp I could not feel heat come thru...so the cold can't come in??? They r welded at the seams and have multiple chambers and made of pure vinyl instead of plastic blend???? He hammered a nail in a board with the glass and if it ever broke it turns to rounded edges instead of sharp!? Safety glass!? i am a green horne but they sounded really nice...did anyone out there have them or more info past the guarentee savings...I too though that was a bunch of ~! But the window itself seemed really good! They guarentee for life and contracter r their and Don Shula endorsed them!??? That doesn't matter to me!

Delaware Mike

#6 Post by Delaware Mike »

Those are some of the oldest "dog and pony" tricks in the book. What most outfits like this try to do is to make you believe that the most common and basic features of just about any run of the mill vinyl window is exclusive to their product. They're hoping that you've never even seen a vinyl window before yet alone one displayed and promoted like their guys are trained to do. Don't get me wrong, there is a lot of junk vinyl windows out there. Everyone has a welded virgin vinyl window with a warm edge spacer. The salesmen like to brag about 20-year old technology which insinuates that the reason pick up truck joe's windows are so much cheaper is that they have box channel spacers, clear glass with no low-e, mechanical corners, and all other undesirable features that windows from the 80's and 90's had.

The glass that they were using is just tempered glass. Republic windows used to train their dealers with their "TUFF GLASS" demo using this trick. Any company that offers a fuel savings pledge isn't being honest right from the start.

eveski

#7 Post by eveski »

so what window do u guys recommend as an affordable replacement? Presently we have single pane wood Anderson replacements. Are the replacement windows at lowes and hd labeled as anderson and pella really that?? I was told most of those windows need replacing in about 10 years? is that true?
thanks everyone for the advice! :D

HomeSealed

#8 Post by HomeSealed »

eveski wrote:so what window do u guys recommend as an affordable replacement? Presently we have single pane wood Anderson replacements. Are the replacement windows at lowes and hd labeled as anderson and pella really that?? I was told most of those windows need replacing in about 10 years? is that true?
thanks everyone for the advice! :D
Generally that is indeed true. The vinyl windows at those stores are poor quality. Your location will dictate availability, but a few top choices would be HiMark, Sunrise, and Softlite.

eveski

#9 Post by eveski »

I live in NE pa. where do I go to find these windows> obviously the first choice i made was bad.

HomeSealed

#10 Post by HomeSealed »

all three of those are available in PA. There is a poster here named anthony that serves part of Pa and may be able to help.

eveski

#11 Post by eveski »

Hi Anthony......can u help????

HomeSealed

#12 Post by HomeSealed »

You can find him here: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=624 . Just click his get a quote button and it will tell you if he serves your area based on zip code.

qco000

#13 Post by qco000 »

After making and confirming an appointment to review and quote windows, Conservation 5 refused to quote because my spouse was not present. Clearly they were preparing for a hard sell using the spouse for leverage. Apparently it is "company policy", but makes me believe it is more of a hard sales company than a window installation company.

Total waste of my time, as well as theirs.

Windows on Washington

#14 Post by Windows on Washington »

While I would tend to agree with you that many of the organizations that require both homeowners to be home are hard call close organizations, why would it be unreasonable to require both decision makers to be home?

I can't tell you how many times a husband or a wife has signed a contract and their spouse had a different idea about options, specifications, operator styles, colors, grids, etc.

If caught early in the process it isn't a hugely big deal except to get all the specifications and pricing right, however, it can often require another visit from the project manager or salesperson.

The customer's time is invaluable and we sincerely appreciate anytime they trust us with the home, but our time has some value as well and if this could have been eliminated from the start, why wouldn't it make sense to have both folks there?

Most are easily caught and with some additional time from the staff, can be modified to be reflective of the customer's end goals for the project, however, there have been more than a few instances where a spouse was not happy with one part or another of the selection and has wound up bearing the expense of a replacement part. That is no good for either party and again, easily avoidable.