Marvin/Wasco/Feldco/champion

Share your experiences with others
dale240z

Marvin/Wasco/Feldco/champion

#1 Post by dale240z »

WOW, what a mind overload in looking at windows. I have now determined that some companies want to offer a complete replacement as compared to replacing the sash and other components. This 29yr old ranch has original dbl hung in bedrooms with single pane glass. I am of the opinion, that all I need are sash replacements, as the sill and frame are not rotted and in good shape. If we stay here another 10 yrs, that would be the long term, so I am leaning towards a good vinyl window. Anyone familiar with the Wasco brand ( Wisconsin) and how satisfied have you been with the entire process. Any comments would be appreciated.

masterext
Location: Window Pro-Serves All of Northern New Jersey. Bergen, Morris, Union, Essex, Passaic, Sussex Counties

Re: Marvin/Wasco/Feldco/champion

#2 Post by masterext »

Wasco windows have a major design flaw; they utilize a cheap/ outdated pocket sill. Thats also why i dont like champion. Beware of feldco, they use Mi Windows which are total junk with a high air leakage rate.
Higher end brands would be Himark by Okna. There is a poster who goes by the name HomeSealed who i believe covers your area. He is a fantastic window contractor and he offers well designed windows. Do a board search of his name and click his contact button.

Windows on Washington

#3 Post by Windows on Washington »

Pocket sills are an automatic disqualifier in my book.

+1 to calling HomeSealed if you are anywhere in his coverage area.

uncle eddie

#4 Post by uncle eddie »

This reminds me of that Sesame Street bit "one of these things don't belong". You are looking at three very budget minded vinyl windows, and then throwing one of the top wood windows in the mix. I'd first decide whether you want wood or vinyl. The fact that you are open to vinyl in the first place tells me that is how you will likely go, because it will offer better performance than wood in nearly every area other than looks. If it is going to be vinyl, you'll want to look at better products like Okna Himark, Restoration and Vanguard by Sunrise, etc. Lots of good information on this and the sister site www.vinyl-replacement-windows.com , I'd spend a little time researching and potentially broaden your array of choices.

Windows on Washington

#5 Post by Windows on Washington »

dale240z wrote:WOW, what a mind overload in looking at windows. I have now determined that some companies want to offer a complete replacement as compared to replacing the sash and other components. This 29yr old ranch has original dbl hung in bedrooms with single pane glass. I am of the opinion, that all I need are sash replacements, as the sill and frame are not rotted and in good shape. If we stay here another 10 yrs, that would be the long term, so I am leaning towards a good vinyl window. Anyone familiar with the Wasco brand ( Wisconsin) and how satisfied have you been with the entire process. Any comments would be appreciated.
By the way...I missed the Wisconsin reference...where in Wisconsin are you.

If you are anywhere near Milwaukee, you need to give HomeSealed a call. He is regular contributor here and your go to guy.