Simonton 5500 quote

Share your experiences with others
NJYPA

Simonton 5500 quote

#1 Post by NJYPA »

I just found this site during window research. Very helpful and great info. I got a quote from windowrama for simonton 5500 new construction window

4x double hung 43W x 41H - $380/each without installation
3x slider window 46W x 25.5H - $365/each without instllation.

Is it a good price? My general contractor will replace my roof and window installation at the same time.

I heard okna 500 and soft-lite is better than simonton 5500 within the same price range. Would you please let me know where to buy the windows only without installation? I already signed contract with my general contractor. I am living in NJ 07866. Please let me know. Thank you

Windows on Washington

Re: Simonton 5500 quote

#2 Post by Windows on Washington »

The Simonton 5500 is not a bad window by any stretch.

I am not sure you would find and Okna 500 near that price point to be honest and most Okna dealers are not permitted to sell uninstalled product.

NJYPA

#3 Post by NJYPA »

Thank you WoW. I can pay little bit more. It looks like I have to pick simonton 5500 in my situation.

Is it good price to GI with windowrama? Or should I get multiple quote. Thanks

Windows on Washington

#4 Post by Windows on Washington »

Tough to say specifics on the price without options but that is probably close to what my costs would be on them at those kind of volumes.

TheWindowNerd

#5 Post by TheWindowNerd »

We sell to DIY. But you have to pick up at the factory, Bensalem/Bristol, PA.
With an integral fin you would be looking at the Okna 5500, much better unit than the other that you mention.

Bing

#6 Post by Bing »

After a few months of having the Simonton 5500s, I'm pleased with them. There might be more attractive windows out there, and they are a thick replacement window(where I lost some sill space), but they operate very smoothly. I also like the noise reduction they offer..as the junk contractor windows I had in there when the house was built offered nearly zero noise reduction.

I had two issues after the install. One window squeaked on closing. Turned out to be the safety latch. Filed it down a bit and it worked well after that. Lots of flashing on these windows. The other issue was that the weathestripping had some large gaps on the same spot on many windows..where it didn't come together at one of the corners. 1/8 inch gaps on some. Less on others. Simonton sent a guy with new weatherstrip but ended up just dabbing some pretty good caulk there in some. I'm a fan of the caulk they used...SoudaSeal. In the end, happy with them. We'll see how winter holds up with the windows.
Windows on Washington wrote:The Simonton 5500 is not a bad window by any stretch.

I am not sure you would find and Okna 500 near that price point to be honest and most Okna dealers are not permitted to sell uninstalled product.

Windows on Washington

#7 Post by Windows on Washington »

Sounds good. Thanks for the follow up and post up some pictures if you want as well.

Ricknez

#8 Post by Ricknez »

the simonton 5500 is very bulky and has a high air infiltration rating ( .17 ) as well as a very outdated sill design.
Why dont you contact a soft lite or okna dealer and have everything installed correcly. Do you really think saving a few hundred bucks is a smart financial decision? I just dont get it.
I would search online for a soft lite or okna dealer in your area and see what they can do.
The Okna 600 series , which is one of Okna's nicest windows, would be a great choice with some of the best performance numbers.