Tear out vs Insert Replacement Window Installation

Share your experiences with others
terrim86

Tear out vs Insert Replacement Window Installation

#1 Post by terrim86 »

Hi
I am looking to install Soft-lite Imperial Ls sliders to replace casements. I am concerned that inserts may reduce the total glass visibility. to upgrade to a tear out will cost me an extra $65 per window which is about $520. This does not include hanging new trim which will cost an extra $50 per window plus the cost of the trim. Is this worth it? structurally I could do the inserts but I am worried about the look. Thanks

Windows on Washington

Re: Tear out vs Insert Replacement Window Installation

#2 Post by Windows on Washington »

Are the windows currently wood? Most sliders are not, but if they are, we are talking about an overall increase in size of about 1.5" on the width and the height in most cases.

HomeSealed

Re: Tear out vs Insert Replacement Window Installation

#3 Post by HomeSealed »

Whether or not its worth it will depend on the exiting circumstances (which are unknown here in large part), combined with the price. In many cases, there is not a ton of value in a full tear out unless you have existing leakage, substantial rot, or are very sensitive to glass loss. That said, at the price you were quoted, a full tearout could be pretty compelling. I don't know many companies that would offer that at such a price unless their base install was very high to begin with with. That is probably about half the price (or less) of what you will find from other companies.