some technical and install questions

Share your experiences with others
gann17

some technical and install questions

#1 Post by gann17 »

Hi,
I didn't know if this should go into the windows and doors section, since that seemed mostly what kinds of windows etc. and i have some more technical questions.

A bit of background: House is 16 yrs old, in Edmonton, Alberta (region 2 for energy guide) original vinyl, double pane windows, assuming air fill, general builder quality. We are not really planning on being here more than 5-6 years and I am unsure if it is worth it to change some of the windows which seem to be quite drafty and cold, to triple pane, argon fill. Cost would be around $14k and isnt really an issue, but not sure its worth it for us.

Beyond that, after having several companies come and give me quote, there was a lot of mixed information and contradictory statements from company to company, so hoping can to get some clarity here.

Do triple pane windows have any problems with sagging or losing seal of gas chambers if installed via nailing fin? Does installing into the rough opening (RO) have any advantages over using a nailing fin? it seems like most companies pull the window back in to the RO and use brick mould to cover the outside gap, while the current windows have no brick mould and are likely attached via nailing flange.

Does a 6mm glass double pane window have roughly the same u-factor and energy rating as a 4mm glass triple pane?

What is the maximum size a single triple pane window can be? Does it vary from manufacturer to manufacturer, depend on frame etc? We have a very large (72"x80") picture window that I would like to keep as a single window. Some guys said can be one triple pane, some guys said too big, needs to be split in 1/2. One guy said tempered would do it?

Can you screw in to vinyl jambs to attach lightweight blinds, or is the vinyl too weak?

Is the new i89 coating worth it on triple pane windows? the cardinal glass website does show a decent improvement in u-value by adding it, but don't know if thats just marketing.

Are the frames from different manufacturers (all based in ontario or quebec) all that different? they don't really seem to be and I am concerned I am missing something (devil in the details type of thing)?

Thanks for any insights you guys can offer.

Windows on Washington

Re: some technical and install questions

#2 Post by Windows on Washington »

Bunch of questions so I will try to answer them in order for ease of follow:

1. I am not sure it is worth it easier for the time frame that you indicate. If the windows are failing in any of these locations, you may be forced into a replacement option prior to the 5-6 year timetable. If they are otherwise functioning, you will not come anywhere close to recouping that investment in the 5-6 year window with regards to energy. Will the home be more comfortable and will there be some valuation improvement (more if the window current to the home look worn out) when you go to sell the home...yes. Again, that number is a bit more nebulous and subject to outside forces that will move it up or down.

If you are asking solely about a fuel savings proposition, get some air sealing and insulation first.

2. Triple pane, if designed and produced by a good manufacturer, do not have any issues nor do they require being installed via nailing flange.

3. What is the current exterior cladding? That will somewhat dictate whether you can do a new construction (i.e. nailing flange) install vs. and insert installation.

4. Glass thickness will have basically nothing to do with insulative value once you are of a minimum required thickness. After that is is all about air space, fill, glass layers, and Low-e coating.

5. Size maximums will vary by manufacturer. That is a big chunk of glass and if we did it with our most popular window, it would, at a minimum, require tempering.

6. i89 is nice, but be aware that your CR numbers will be a bit lower with an internal Low-e. I see no reason for it if you are thinking of going with triple pane.

7. The regional questions I don't really have any directed feedback on. Most manufacturers do not make their own extrusions so it so there may be some overlap, but nearly all manufacturers will want to use an extrusion that is unique to their window.

HelenHardison

Re: some technical and install questions

#3 Post by HelenHardison »

I agree with the above post.