Fibrex windows pros and cons

Ask replacement window questions & get answers!
Jo Ann

Fibrex windows pros and cons

#1 Post by Jo Ann »

I have received two quotes on replacement windows and was told by Andersen (Renewal by Andersen) that Vinyl windows are priced cheaply because they will only last about 6-8 years. They claim that their product, Fibrex, will last a lifetime but they only give you a 10 year warranty on the windows. Renewal by Andersen initially wanted about $16,900 for 14 windows, where CertainTeed only wants $5,500 for vinyl. Ater I looked at the salesperson like she was out of her mind, she dropped the quote to $14,800, which is still a bit too costly. I plan on shopping around some more but am wondering if Andersen Fibrex renewal windows are that much better than vinyl?

Windows on Washington

Re: Vinyl or Fibrex windows

#2 Post by Windows on Washington »

No. The fact that she dropped her price by over 2K right off the bat should indicate a little bit about her ability to tell the truth.

She is out right lying and I would tell her to provide some data to indicate that quality vinyl windows only last 5 years and when she can't, tell her to sell her hogwash somewhere else.

tru_blue

#3 Post by tru_blue »

I agree with w.o.w.

Evidently the salesperson you dealt with feels she has to slam her competition with untruths in order to justify the Renewal by Andersen product. Interestingly, most of Andersen's (not their Renewal line) products are vinyl clad (their main line) and all-vinyl (their Silverline products). You don't hear the salespeople for those lines saying that their product will only last several years.

The Fibrex material used in Renewal by Andersen has its advantages (and disadvantages) over vinyl products; too bad she couldn't present them in honest, somewhat unbiased way. I'd seek elsewhere.

HuskerGirl

#4 Post by HuskerGirl »

Can anyone briefly define the disadvantages of Fibrex? Need to decide whether to use Fibrex or other similar composite or vinyl. Just starting to research pros and cons of each. In Nebraska so temperatures very cold and very hot with 30 degree flucuations. Also what about noise reduction? Is one better than the other? Must vinyl have a foam core to be efficient? It seems like a no brainer but I am a greenhorn here.

Win-admin
Board Administrator

#5 Post by Win-admin »

This would be a great opportunity for someone from Andersen to chime in and provide some information on the Renewal product. We have invited them on several occasions, but unfortunately they have never felt inclined to post.

Anyone from Andersen out there that could help get some participation going? As the administrator of the board, we will delete any “bashing” of the product and only allow a good discourse based upon facts only.

What say you Andersen?
Win-Admin
win-admin@replacement-windows.com

Win-admin
Board Administrator

#6 Post by Win-admin »

:idea: Time for an opinion poll: (hey its an election year, get in the spirit!)

Just will not post

or

No clue people are on the internet discussing replacement windows
Win-Admin

Windows on Washington

#7 Post by Windows on Washington »

How about option 3...they don't want to post their BS in front of an informed audience that will shoot holes in BS stories like Swiss cheese.

FenEx

#8 Post by FenEx »

Or reason number 4. I believe they still have a class action suit pending against them (Andersen) on the West coast for false claims and misrepresentation. Maybe they wish to minimize the blood trail.

Win-admin
Board Administrator

#9 Post by Win-admin »

OK fair enough, the poll questions are now amended to;

1. Just will not post

2. No clue people are on the internet discussing replacement windows

3. Their act just doesn’t play well to an intelligent audience so they took it on the road and are booked solid this month preaching the gospel of Fibrex to a large herd of Emperor Penguins

4. They have been bound and gagged by a team of lawyers so they don’t get into even more trouble.

Vote your convictions!
Win-Admin

tru_blue

#10 Post by tru_blue »

You may not have been aware of this, but there are certain window manufacturers out there (that will remain unnamed) that have communicated to their sales force that they should not participate in online window-related discussions. That is probably why it is rare to encounter someone from these companies that is willing to discuss their product line, except perhaps through false identities (and unfortunately sometimes with exaggerated or colorful statements).

Win-admin
Board Administrator

#11 Post by Win-admin »

Why keep them unnamed? Perhaps if we identified them we could encourage them to participate. That would be beneficial to them and consumers.

Do these people think the internet is going to go away if they hold their breath long enough?

Ed's

Skydawggy.

#12 Post by Skydawggy. »

My experience with most of them is they never like to discuss why a consumer should buy their product. They are only interested in slamming any product other than the one they sell. For some crazy reason they have convinced themselves the customer will buy from them only if they can create enough fear of doing otherwise.

The tactics remind me of the high pressure sales tactics of the past ie. convince the consumer everyone else is going to rip you off except us.

Pretty poor sales approach IMO, so it wouldn't surprise me if they think by that ignoring the internet, it will just go away. Not a good long term strategy.