Bye Bye Krypton Superwindows

Ask replacement window questions & get answers!
FenEx

Bye Bye Krypton Superwindows

#1 Post by FenEx »

The DOE released articles back as far as 1994 calling new emerging triple pane, Krypton filled units "Superwindows" due to their U-factors of .22 and below. Due to the automotive industry as well as others, Krypton is in short supply and therefore has increased in price by approx. 380% over the last few months.

This will increase the "Distributors List" price of a Krypton filled window by over $100 to $1,000 per window opening depending on size. A 6' patio door will increase by about $1,200.00 in some cases. There is little doubt this will all but remove Krypton windows from most markets. Most government and utility programs could not justify the (ROI) return on investment based on energy savings before and this will put it completely out of range.

My thanks to Bill for bringing this to my attention. I have verified it through other sources as well.

Window4U (IL)
Location: Sales and Installation in Chicagoland and Central Illinois

Hello Argon Superwindows

#2 Post by Window4U (IL) »

Yeah, it's amazing how the price has gone up. One of my suppliers has increased price on krypton 6 times in recent months. Their triple upgrade is up double from where it was in April.
Luckily, this brand has triple pane/argon double hungs at U-Values at .19 - .20 ...so I could switch to argon with this brand and still provide "superwindow" numbers for my customers if the price for krypton skyrockets any further. I would imagine many companies will be pushing triple/ argon in the future with the prices going so high. Not quite the performance of krypton, but still decent, especially for the companies who are at .15-.16 with krypton as their argon numbers still beat many other triple/krypton window brand's numbers.

The other main brand I buy a lot has not increased in price at all (yet) because they bought into a long term contract that guaranteed their krypton price into next year. That upgrade from double/argon to triple/krypton still costs me only about $40-$50 (which is incredibly cheap) for a big double hung. I'm sure it will be rising significantly after this winter when their contract expires though.

tru_blue

Re: Bye Bye Krypton Superwindows

#3 Post by tru_blue »

It will be interesting to see what steps the window industry takes to achieve the new EnergyStar ratings, when U values will need to be as low as .27 (in 2009) and .17 (in 2013). I had envisioned at least triple glazed with warm edge spacers with krypton gas, but it's becoming apparent that perhaps that will not be practical.

Windows on Washington

#4 Post by Windows on Washington »

well built window with triple pane and argon can probably hit that 2013 NFRC number.

I would like to see some vacuum sealed windows out there.

Skydawggy.

#5 Post by Skydawggy. »

tru_blue wrote:It will be interesting to see what steps the window industry takes to achieve the new EnergyStar ratings, when U values will need to be as low as .27 (in 2009) and .17 (in 2013). I had envisioned at least triple glazed with warm edge spacers with krypton gas, but it's becoming apparent that perhaps that will not be practical.
It's going to happen, it's just going to cost the consumer a lot more money. Look what happened when they raised the energy efficiency standards for heating and A/C. A $1600 A/C now costs over $5000, a $1200 furnance now costs $3500.

It wouldn't surprise me if a window selling for $500 now jumps to $700 or more. In fact with the increases in the wholesale costs of all building materials and labor costs factored in, it could be an even greater increase.

FenEx

#6 Post by FenEx »

I believe you will see a major market transformation continue in the very near future.