Need a cherry finish on interior of windows

Ask replacement window questions & get answers!
Tail

Need a cherry finish on interior of windows

#1 Post by Tail »

Here goes. I am a homeowner who is in need of replacing 19 wooden windows in my 1940's house in central Ohio. My old windows and storms do not seem to be inefficient, but I cannot keep up with the constant exterior painting and caulking they need. I have been looking into replacements to the point that my head is spinning. My number one priority is to find a window that will match my interior cherry finished trim. Recently, I am leaning towards the Alside Ultramax with the cherry finished interior. I have found a contractor, that is well rated with a homeowner's rating service, that gave me a good price on a Simmerton window, which they rep directly, but Simmertron does not come in a cherry finish. He quoted $650 per window for the Alside Ultramax with the low e glass. I am wondering what you think about the price and the window. I have thought of wood such as Marvin and Kolbe but feel they might be out of my range. I have also looked at fiberglass but cannot find much information on it.
Last edited by Tail on Fri Feb 11, 2005 3:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Dean S

#2 Post by Dean S »

I just checked out what it would cost for the cherry interior for a Marvin double hung in an average size. The list price went up over $300.00 per window. This will surely push your installed price to over $1000.00 each. Worth it? For some people I guess it is otherwise they wouldn't make them at all.

The problem is twofold. Cherry costs more than pine plus they have to shut down production to cut different species, I'm told it's to change the saw blades.

They just put the different species capabilties in our computers last year which allows us to quote it easier. As they sell more different species, the cost of the lumber will come down and production will be more common meaning fewer shutdowns. In the coming years the cost will be reduced but I guess that doesn't do you much good now.

Tail

#3 Post by Tail »

Thanks for the information that is what I thought for a Marvin. Unfortunately while appearance, quality and installation are the major factors in my decision, price also plays a role and $1000 a window is not in my budget. Any thoughts on Alside or other quality vinyl or fiberglass replacements?

Window4U (IL)
Location: Sales and Installation in Chicagoland and Central Illinois

#4 Post by Window4U (IL) »

Schuco also has cherry woodgrain on it's Corona 4000 vinyl window. A couple other vinyl windows that have it are Lang and Sunrise.

Tail

#5 Post by Tail »

Thanks for the information. I have heard of Schuco and the way it gets talked about it must be a pretty good window. I have never heard of Lang before. How would these 2 compare with the Alside in quality and price?

Window4U (IL)

#6 Post by Window4U (IL) »

The Lang is a lower grade window compared to the other two and will be less money. The Schuco is nicer looking and has better features than the Alside Sheffield, though the Sheffield is one of my favorites right behind the Schuco. The price of the Schuco should be pretty comparable to what you have been quoted for the Sheffield.

Tail

#7 Post by Tail »

Actually I was looking at the Alside UltraMax window not the Sheffield. How do those two compare if you don't mind me asking?

Window4U (IL)

#8 Post by Window4U (IL) »

Sorry, my bad. The Sheffield is basically a next generation ultramaxx. It has one less liftrail than the 3 on the ultramaxx, and it has a sloped sill instead of a pocket sill. It's just a little better, but basically the same window looks and build-wise.

Tail

#9 Post by Tail »

Thanks for the update. The Sheffield does sound better but probably is a little more expensive. I would imagine a sloped sill is better than a pocket sill. I will contact Alside for some information on this line.

jack7447

#10 Post by jack7447 »

You should take a look at the TRIM LINE window ,real cherry.
It should cost 600.00 -800.00 installed depending on the grids.
Good Luck.

Tail

#11 Post by Tail »

Thanks for the information. I have contacted Trim Line and they have given me the name of a building supply company in my area that carries their windows. I had been leaning towards a vinyl but after looking at their Web Site maybe a aluminium clad wood window is the way to go. I would be curious on your thoughts of aluminium clad wood versus vinyl.

Window4U (IL)

#12 Post by Window4U (IL) »

Trimline looks like a decent window doing a quick glance at their website. It has superspacer and it has an air infiltration rate of only .05, which is as good as many good vinyl windows. I really like the Simulated Divided Lite grid option too.
The glass package is available only in double glazed low-e with a u value of about .30 depending on the configuration. That is pretty standard for any good double-paned window, so no points off for that even though I am normally partial to premium vinyl windows in the .20 range.
The one thing I don't care for is the white jamb liners, but again, that is pretty standard in most wood replacement windows so no big deal.

I wouldn't mind seeing one in person to check them out further for my edification. Though there may be weaknesses to the window that Trimline doesn't advertise, it looks like a good recommendation Jack.

jack7447

#13 Post by jack7447 »

Tail I use Trimline when people want the look that only real wood will give.
The Trimline must be stained and varnised.I have installed hundreds in the
Boston area over the last ten years they hold up very well.Myself I like
vinyl if its white dont like the colors or wood look.Remember vinyl is very
easy to care for.

Tail

#14 Post by Tail »

Just FYI - I looked at the TrimLine window and it look nice. The cost was about twice as much as a standard vinyl and if I wanted cherry wood on the interior I was told the manufacturer requires a minimium of 50 windows with a large markup fee. I guess I could always try to stain the pine to match if I go this route.

Tail

#15 Post by Tail »

FYI- I received information from Shuco but it does'nt show a cherry finish only oak and light oak. Does anyone know if they offer the cherry finish?