changing window styles

DIY - If Your Bound & Determined
petras52

changing window styles

#1 Post by petras52 »

I'm considering changing my old wood casements to vinyl double hungs on a vinyl over originally wood sided house.. the current window sashes vary in size from 26x54 to 26x62..using existing rough in frame, anything to consider when making this change? thanks

Windows on Washington

Re: changing window styles

#2 Post by Windows on Washington »

Completely doable.

Those sizes lend themselves to happily be double hungs too.

toddinmn

#3 Post by toddinmn »

Are you going to use the existing frames from the casements or a complete tear-out?Are you going to do this your self?You may want to fur out your casing and wrap it if it wasn't done with siding.

petras52

#4 Post by petras52 »

I'm hiring an installer .. he is using existing frames and will wrap the casing with aluminum of a different color from what we have now..

Skydawggy.

#5 Post by Skydawggy. »

Sounds like a workable plan. I don't understand why you are going from casements to double hungs because casements are much more energy efficient.

toddinmn

#6 Post by toddinmn »

The casements will typically have better air infiltration numbers and better u-factors.I am a fan of the double hung regardless and would probaslly go the same route without seeing the house.Not much else to consider except brand of windows,options and how they will trim out the interior.Is the interior stained?

petras52

#7 Post by petras52 »

even though casements are more energy efficient, I'm also considering 1st floor security issues with casements when they are cracked open for ventilation..it might be just a bit more difficult for a burglar to get through a double hung with the partial open locks engaged..cleaning ease on upper floors also a consideration..

petras52

#8 Post by petras52 »

interior molding is stained..installer will use stained quarter round inside..the visible part of the frame inside won't match the stain color, but I think we'll be able to live with it..if not then will possibly paint the moldings to match the frames ..

TheWindowNerd

#9 Post by TheWindowNerd »

Yep, it is a vent lock/night latch. they are a bit of a gimmick.

TheWindowNerd

#10 Post by TheWindowNerd »

You may want to check with the local code enforcement and see if there are any egress issues with the changes.

mayallen

#11 Post by mayallen »

Casement windows are a better option than double hung because they are more energy efficient, they provide more ventilation and they are more reasonably priced.

Windows on Washington

#12 Post by Windows on Washington »

Whether or not they are more efficient depends on the brand you are comparing.

Given a fixed size, the casement will vent more based on panel opening style. It will also be more expensive, have an interior screen, and have opening restraints on the exterior.

HomeSealed

#13 Post by HomeSealed »

I also experience slightly more product service issues with casements. Not to say that they are bad, there are just pros and cons inherent with each.

Luciad67

#14 Post by Luciad67 »

toddinmn wrote: Sat Oct 02, 2010 1:01 am Are you going to use the existing frames from the casements or a complete tear-out?Are you going to do this your self You may want to fur out your casing and wrap it if it wasn't done with siding.
So, if I understand correctly, there are several methods to carry out your project.

TheWindowNerd

#15 Post by TheWindowNerd »

Yes, that is correct.
theWindowNerd.com