My First Retrofit Windows Installed

DIY - If Your Bound & Determined
mailmanx

My First Retrofit Windows Installed

#1 Post by mailmanx »

After much research, and some great help from people on this forum, I ordered (13) Milgard Tuscany wide Z-bar windows, a bunch of stainless 3"' screws and a case of white Novaflex glazing silicone. I got a county permit and permission from my homeowner's association. I read the fire code and made sure to purchase each of my windows with one pane tempered. I chose to get the internal pane tempered for safety to my grandkids inside.

This weekend, I installed the three easiest windows in order to get comfortable with it before doing the harder ones. The installation is very easy. It actually takes me longer to caulk the perimeter and trim out the interior than it does to install the windows.

Here is one before/after picture of two windows side-by-side.

And here's one picture from the inside before hanging the window treatment.

Surprisingly, I was able to re-use my existing internal mount mini-blinds. I didn't think there would be enough room inside the window casing to do that after putting in the retrofit windows. That will be a nice cost savings!

Thanks to all for your assisitance.

Michael

TheWindowNerd

Re: My First Retrofit Windows Installed

#2 Post by TheWindowNerd »

Nice looking job.

HomeSealed

#3 Post by HomeSealed »

Nice work. :D

Windows on Washington

#4 Post by Windows on Washington »

Great job.

mailmanx

#5 Post by mailmanx »

Thanks guys! It's gratifying to do my own work. Besides, I'm rather anal about doing quality work, so I know what goes into each installation. I actually scrape, sand and alcohol wipe down the exterior of the aluminum frame before I apply the caulk so I know that I am getting the best adhesion.

I photo documented the entire process. I'm considering writing a step-by-step procedure, complete with a separate picture for every step. I could post it in this DIY section for the benefit of other newbies.

In my own research, I found some decent installation videos on YouTube, and I found a few basic installation procedures with minimal pictures, but never exactly what I was looking for. I'd like to make a more complete tutorial.

I know most of you here don't need that since you were the ones who helped me. However, it may help other newbies who find the post via a search engine in the future. I need a few days to put the presentation together, then I'll post it here and see what you think.

mailmanx

#6 Post by mailmanx »

I got all (13) windows that I ordered installed in less than a week working by myself in evenings and weekends. It was not rocket science, but I did slow, methodical work and excellent surface prep.

Now I've got the bug to do the (2) patio sliders and the final few windows on the shady side of my house. It's only money. Ahhhhh!

Just for fun, here are three pictures of one end of my house where my great room is located. All the windows you see here have direct western exposure. They get blasted by afternoon sun:

BEFORE:

DURING:

AFTER:

Sadly, that afternoon sun and UV does a number on the paint. That's my next big project, probably in August. I also want to put stack-stone veneer on the lower portion below that dark gray wood band and put slate on the steps going up to my front door. But that's for another forum.

Michael

Windows on Washington

#7 Post by Windows on Washington »

Good work.

You want a job...? :lol:

mailmanx

#8 Post by mailmanx »

Windows on Washington wrote:Good work.

You want a job...? :lol:
Thanks! I'd loose money. I'm way to slow. I can barely afford myself.

TheWindowNerd

#9 Post by TheWindowNerd »

Have you thought of putting vertical vinyl siding on that upper portion?

mailmanx

#10 Post by mailmanx »

Not really. The wood siding is still in good enough shape for another paint job. If it starts to fail after that, I will probably remove it and stucco the whole house due to being in a high fire danger area.

mailmanx

Re: Follow-Up

#11 Post by mailmanx »

As noted above, the new windows were just begging for the rest of the house to be updated. I had it painted in August (too big a job for just me). I had the siding completely sanded, then had them apply a coat of long-oil primer (hard to find here in California - and probably not at all after January 2012). It's a type of primer originally made for redwood and cedar, but it is proven to soak deeply into weathered T1-11 siding, like mine. My siding was thirsty and soaked up about 15 gallons more than I expected it to. But I'm OK with that - I just wanted the job done right.

After letting the pimer dry for two days, I had it topped with two coats of quality 100-percent acrylic latex paint (not from the big box stores). It really made a difference. I hope to get 10 years out of this paint job, then we'll see about converting to stucco.

I started the new thin stone veneer this weekend. It's a job that I am able to do myself. I'm slow at it, but at least I'm cheap (just ask my wife!). This should finally bring my house into the current decade. It was looking awfully dated before (see above):

Windows on Washington

#12 Post by Windows on Washington »

Continued good work.

That stone will really set off the front of the home. Looking forward to the finished product pictures.

toddinmn

#13 Post by toddinmn »

Is that a Dodecagon?

mailmanx

#14 Post by mailmanx »

Watch your language! This is a family forum!

Actually, yes. Very perceptive! From the ground, it's hard to tell because of how it blends into the long end of the house.

Here is a shot taken a few years ago from a high angle that shows it pretty well.

EcoStar Remodeling

#15 Post by EcoStar Remodeling »

Akash

You are so obviously NOT a customer but an employee of your company that it's actually pathetic that you would think that nobody can see through your bogus review.

Why don't you go knock on some doors or run some print advertisements if you need busines this bad.