Window repair

DIY - If Your Bound & Determined
Cassandra2

Window repair

#1 Post by Cassandra2 »

This isn't a question. I had storms with the slide bolts broken or missing, and one storm missing entirely. I was directed to a mom and pop hardware store in a small town that helped me tremendously. He built me a new storm, and replaced the slide bolts. These people have all kinds of window parts from tear downs. He told me he could custom build a window and that he does it for people with much older homes. Look into window repair before you plunk down money on replacement windows.

Window4U (IL)
Location: Sales and Installation in Chicagoland and Central Illinois

Re: Window repair

#2 Post by Window4U (IL) »

Cassandra2 wrote: Look into window repair before you plunk down money on replacement windows.
In your case, that worked and those in need of storm window repair can take your advice and look for an old guy at the local hardware store.
Unfortunately, most people who are in need of new windows don't just need storm window repair, they need new windows with high performance glass with a lower U-factor, a lower SHGC and a window with reasonably low air infiltration rates. They are victims of old technology or of builders grade cheaply built windows.

Windows on Washington

#3 Post by Windows on Washington »

Cassandra2 wrote:This isn't a question. I had storms with the slide bolts broken or missing, and one storm missing entirely. I was directed to a mom and pop hardware store in a small town that helped me tremendously. He built me a new storm, and replaced the slide bolts. These people have all kinds of window parts from tear downs. He told me he could custom build a window and that he does it for people with much older homes. Look into window repair before you plunk down money on replacement windows.
If the customer has what would be considered a window of historical value, a properly installed and air tight storm window is a great idea and will provide a measured amount of performance that might be close to that of a properly installed double pane unit.

That all being said, about +95% of people with wood windows are entertaining replacement for a myriad of other reasons (rot, poor functionality, air leakage, seal failure, general aesthetic improvement, etc). Those folks would not be storm window candidates nor would they be wise to invest time in the repair of an older storm window.

HomeSealed

#4 Post by HomeSealed »

As the other guys mentioned, there are several factors that go into determining whether or not replacement windows will be a wise investment for you. It really depends on the condition of the existing windows, the circumstances of your home, and your goals/priorities. :D