pella rolscreens

Ask replacement window questions & get answers!
fireman

pella rolscreens

#1 Post by fireman »

Looking for information on how to repair or replace old(1920's) pella rollscreens

RC

#2 Post by RC »

Ask Pella!

holy cow, did not realize they went back that far!

Guy

#3 Post by Guy »

Here's where to start. They should be able to get you what you need.
http://www.pella.com/service/parts.asp

fireman

#4 Post by fireman »

I tried the Pella website and the local Pella dealer. No Help.
I'm just trying to figure out how to open up or remove the rolscreen,
Tom

RC

#5 Post by RC »

I'd approach it differently. Tell the local Pella store that you are interested in replacement windows, and that you have old Pella windows now. They will send someone out to look and that individual will be able to assess what you have and don't have. Being 85 years old, those rolscreens are probably not servicable, but with a first hand look they might be able to give you more options.

Guy

#6 Post by Guy »

I'll have an answer for you tomorrow. I know who I can call to figure it out.

Guy

#7 Post by Guy »

What a Monday this has been. SInce I worked the past 35 days in a row they all seem to be the same! OK...... here's the skinny on the Rolscreen and some history for RC that I didn't have time for earlier.

Yes it's true the Rolscreen has been around since the early 1900's! In 1925 Pete and Lucille Kuyper invested some money in a small Des Moines, Iowa company named Rolscreen®. In 1926 they moved the company back home to Pella Iowa. They introduced a Venetian blind a few years later and their first window in 1937. They kept the window and door products seperate from Rolscreen® and started the building of their empire. Not only did they have the Rolscreen® but they also introduced the pivoting double hung window to the world for inside cleaning. They also introduced the first aluminum clad window. Quite remarkable! It wasn't until around 1994 that they turned Rolscreen® into The Pella Corporation. This tied all their products together in one big knot.

THe early Rolscreen® is just like a roll-up shade. It has an access cover and comes out to be serviced. If you tell me what windows you have or patio door I can get you the PDF file for repairs.

fireman

#8 Post by fireman »

Rc, Thanks for that idea

Guy, I will try to find the window make and type to you

Thanks for the help

Fireman

jonpit

I am also looking to replace / repair old rolscreens

#9 Post by jonpit »

Any luck sourcing repair parts for the older rolscreens?
Mine look like the attached photo. Installed on a prewar home with steel sash.
Thanks for the input!, Jon.

tru_blue

Re: I am also looking to replace / repair old rolscreens

#10 Post by tru_blue »

jonpit wrote: Installed on a prewar home with steel sash.
I don't think you'll have much luck finding the original manufacturer. Pella is the only disappearing roll-up screen manufacturer that I know of that has been around that long, but the screens shown in your picture are from a different manufacturer.

There are several independent screen manufacturers that make generic roll-up screens to fit other windows. The only one that comes to mind is Phantom screens, but I know there are several more out there. I doubt if you'll be able to get replacement parts from an out-of-business manufacturer for your screens, but hopefully you'd be able to get an entire screen unit from one of the newer manufacturers out there.

xumark

Re: pella rolscreens

#11 Post by xumark »

Early (1925-1940) Pella Rolscreen repair is next to impossible. Metal casement windows will have the screen rollup cartridge secured by the wooden side casing pieces. The screen tracks are also attached to these wood casing pieces. Remove (I screwed in eye bolts to pry out with. If you can find the finish nails, pound them on through with a nail set) the wood casing pieces with the tracks attached and the cartridge will be able to be pried down. Once the cartridge is out you have a very strong spot welded together metal box about 2"1/2 x 2"1/2 x width of the window. Steel dowels through the center sping loaded roll axel can be undone in preparation for chiseling select spot welds. Once the axel and steel cylinder are removed you can start the process of removing the old screen. The copper screen will be secured to the cylinder with large lead solder areas. I used a leaded window soldering pencil (140w) to do this. A soldering gun or pencil used for electronics will not work.
Now reassembly with new copper screen can begin. Use new copper screen with at least one factory edge for one side. When soldering the new screen make sure you are straight. The other cut edge can be double over and the large staples that will be applied down the length to keep the screen in the track can be applied. Don't overlap more than 1/4". The winding of the spring and reloading the cartridge is straightforward. The cartridge case can be pop riveted back together.The bottom rail that attaches to the screen that you pull down on is impossible to dismantel. I sandwiched the new screen between the pull down rail and some 1/8 bar stock pop riveted together. Good Luck

TheWindowNerd

#12 Post by TheWindowNerd »

WOW, that is a ton of work. I know it is not cheaper, nor will it last as long, but I would replace the window.
If you want a good roll screen you could look at Phantom, the best IMO.

xumark

#13 Post by xumark »

I agree it is too much work for an old window that should be replaced. I only did it on the steel casements I had that were leaded glass. All others were replace with new wooden casements.

paper tiger

#14 Post by paper tiger »

Does Pella (or anyone) still manufacture windows with the Rolscreen feature? Or was it a separate feature from the basic window unit?

TheWindowNerd

#15 Post by TheWindowNerd »

Pella still does a rolscreen for casements and upper end sliding doors.
Marvin now offers a roll screen, which I have not seen.
AW has one for some of their doors but I would not use it.
Phantom makes a super retractable screen that can be added to just about anything.