Replacement Insert Question

DIY - If Your Bound & Determined
Matty33

Replacement Insert Question

#1 Post by Matty33 »

Hello, new to the boards here and I have a question concerning replacement vinyl insert windows. Currently I have double-hung vinyl windows that were new construction when the house was built, approx 15 years old, and a few of them are starting to fail. Being that I already have vinyl installed is there anyway I can use replacement insert windows? I'd prefer to not disturb the siding and keep the job simple as I'd like to do the install myself to save some cash. Thanks in advance.

Delaware Mike

Re: Replacement Insert Question

#2 Post by Delaware Mike »

You have one of the more labor intensive and complicated installs out there. To perform the job correctly you would have to either cut back the siding to gain access to the existing flanges/fins of your windows, or remove all of the siding around the window openings. If you cut back the siding you will have to integrate some type of new exterior trim board which changes the look of the house from what you most likely have now. I'm assuming that you have j-channel right up to current windows because why in the world would a builder ever bother to think forward to the future in the best interest to a homeowner not having a nightmare costly window project?

masterext
Location: Window Pro-Serves All of Northern New Jersey. Bergen, Morris, Union, Essex, Passaic, Sussex Counties

#3 Post by masterext »

Quite honestly, I just don't know or can even fathom how this can be done by someone other than a professional installer. If this is done by a novice, you will be spending a lot of money to fix it.

Windows on Washington

#4 Post by Windows on Washington »

+1 to the two previous comments.

Best practice would be to remove the siding (either cut back or pull back) and expose the flange. Once done, put a new flanged window in.

You can cut the window out and install and insert (i.e. no flange) if you are very careful with the water management, however, that is something that take years to get a good handle on and is not typically a DIY type project.

Matty33

#5 Post by Matty33 »

Thanks for the replies, very useful info. Based on that I'll get some quotes from the pros to do the job.

HomeSealed

#6 Post by HomeSealed »

Good choice. The other guys have covered your options pretty well... Being that you have original vinyl windows installed, there is no way to use an insert window inside of that. The closest thing would be the "express" install method that WoW mentioned, but you have to be pretty skilled to pull that off, and it still lacks a couple extra layers of protection. Definitely not a DIY friendly install unless you are very well versed in residential construction. Most of the original installs from that time period are leakers from what I've seen, and those were supposedly "professional installations". Guess I can't blame them for following what was considered "best practices" at the time, just not sure why anybody ever thought lapping the nailing flange and housewrap backwards at the head was a good idea. Also see a lot where the is no housewrap or wrb, no head flashing, and nothing but back caulking on the nailing flange to keep water out.

buddy11

#7 Post by buddy11 »

Matty33 wrote:Thanks for the replies, very useful info. Based on that I'll get some quotes from the pros to do the job.
Good idea. The install you're describing is not easy. if installed improperly, they will leak air and water! :shock: