Trimming/Capping Exterior

DIY - If Your Bound & Determined
zsisk

Trimming/Capping Exterior

#1 Post by zsisk »

Not sure what the term would be, but I installed my first replacement window and it looks good inside. It is sealed outside but looks horrible. I did not touch the siding or j channel at all but the replacement didn't quite butt against the j-channel. So now I have a gap on 3 sides between new window frame and j-channel. What can I use to cover all that and still look like it was meant to be. Like I said this is my first attempt. In the pic you can see the gap.
Attachments
upload2.jpg
upload2.jpg (26.8 KiB) Viewed 25957 times

Windows on Washington

Re: Trimming/Capping Exterior

#2 Post by Windows on Washington »

This is a situation where capping or extension trim would finish the exterior off.

zsisk

#3 Post by zsisk »

Can you give me an example of what you mean or hook me up with a link so I can understand it better. Like I said, I am new at this and think I can do good job with the rest of the windows if I figure this one out. Thanks

HomeSealed

#4 Post by HomeSealed »

Am I correct that there is just vinyl frame, then foam, then j channel? ... It looks as though you ordered the window too small. To fix that, you can have someone bend up some aluminum trim pieces to fill those gaps (not ideal), or you can cut back the siding and add full trim (brickmold, 1x, or whatever) around the opening.

zsisk

#5 Post by zsisk »

Yes I believe the replacement is to small. to late now so I am trying to make the best of it. luckily I only ordered one to start with. I also started with old aluminum frame Windows so I have no blind stops either from the old Windows.

TheWindowNerd

#6 Post by TheWindowNerd »

Since it is only one window you will have to buy more than you need to finish the unit.
A. hire someone to show you how to use a trim brake, coil , and caulk maybe $250
B. rent a trim brake, buy a roll of coil, a tube of caulk and go at it.
C. buy a roll of RWD extend trim. This is a flat white vinyl trim that has adhesive to peel and stick.

zsisk

#7 Post by zsisk »

It is only one window for now. I just bought one to try it first. I have learned from my mistakes and will do much better the next time around. I finished it up this past weekend and it turned out ok. I will post a pic or 2 when I get home today of the final installation. I ended up using strips of PVC trim to finish it up. The next windows should be easier now that I kind of know what I am doing.

TheWindowNerd

#8 Post by TheWindowNerd »

If you continue and depending on how many windows you will be doing in total, the RWD Extend trim could be a nice way for you to go.