Question for our Window Pro's

Ask replacement window questions & get answers!
Win-admin
Board Administrator

Question for our Window Pro's

#1 Post by Win-admin »

We have a question that we hope some of our resident experts could help with. This is not the first time this has been raised so we thought that maybe we could put this to bed once and for all.

(If we can get a good response maybe we can add a new section to the site; The History of Replacement Windows!)

Here goes;

What company was the first to mass produce, and sell a true Replacement Window?

Win-Admin

Window4U (IL)
Location: Sales and Installation in Chicagoland and Central Illinois

#2 Post by Window4U (IL) »

NuSash by Weatherseal was one of the first, but I don't think they were the real first for replacement windows.
They were the inventor of the first combination storm window. I do know that for sure.

uto

#3 Post by uto »

I was a Season All replacement window dealer in 1968 (single glazed aluminum) and was told they copied NuSash

Window4U (IL)

#4 Post by Window4U (IL) »

I started my career with NuSash in 1975. They told us back then they were the first , but I've heard other company's claim the same thing, so I am really not sure what the real truth is.

***UPDATED POST: I just did a search on the NuSash website and they do still say they pioneered the first replacement window in 1961.
I guess what they told me 30 years ago was true! (maybe)
Last edited by Window4U (IL) on Wed Jun 15, 2005 9:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

lchristie

Replacement Windows

#5 Post by lchristie »

I am currently in the market for replacement windows...good quality, but something that I can afford also. I have a quote for Andersen replacement windows of $10,000. Can I find an alternate window (preferably fiberglass) that would be the same quality, but possibly not as expensive?

JScott

#6 Post by JScott »

I don't push what I have been told as I have not found it in print.

The current plastic/vinyl basic formula was developed by a scientiest/chemist in Germany between world war II and the late 1940's.

There was no use at that time. The formula remained dormant until the early 1950's at which time more experimentation was done.

During the 1950's the first vinyl window was produced in England from where we ( the US) brought over the technology and machinery.

Not sure who was the first manufacturer nor the 1st in the US. Have heard that the birthplace of the vinyl window in America was in Pittsburg.

I would not bet on this and my normal response would be " I'm not really sure".

Window4U (IL)

#7 Post by Window4U (IL) »

Just a clarification to my posts after reading JScott's post about vinyl.
The question asked was about the first replacement windows, not the first vinyl windows.
NuSash was not originally a vinyl window. It did have some of the window that was vinyl, but it was mostly an aluminum window. They did not make them 100% vinyl until the early 80's.
Just thought I'd make that point so no one was confused, though JScott's thoughts bring up a good second question, which is "what was the first vinyl window in the U.S.?"
I am pretty sure I know but will let others answer.

JScott

#8 Post by JScott »

what is champion and 1956 also jump to mind.

Thanks for the clarification- After reading all the other posts I lost track of the original post as we often do then. And the above answer is a guestimate. Or maybe it was 1956 when Champion mobile homes sold their window fabrication business which is now Champion windows(yes, its true, champion began as a manufacturer of windows for house trailers- politically correctness also forces me to state modular homes).

These were intially aluminum mass produced replacement windows after the split.

uto

#9 Post by uto »

A very interesting history of glass and windows including replacement windows can be found at www.thehistoryof.net. Look under HOME on the right side menu for the article. Nothing on vinyl but Anderson's long history is worth noting.

Window4U (IL)

#10 Post by Window4U (IL) »

From some research I just did, I'm "pretty sure" I've confirmed what I previously thought.....

BF Goodrich was the first in the U.S. to make stock size new construction vinyl windows. They started production in 1959.

NuSash was the first to make a replacement window to slip right in to the old jambs once the sashes were taken out. (1961) They were mostly aluminum.

The first custom sized vinyl window made to order was made in 1964 by Thermal Industries.

I think Champion only made aluminum storm windows, awnings, and storm doors back then. They were definitely around close to the start of it all though, no doubt.
As always with history, it is written by those involved in it. Other people involved may remember or claim things differently.
I was in kindergarten then, so I personally don't have any first hand knowledge, just what the old timers tell me.