Gorell Windows

Ask replacement window questions & get answers!
bayfeet

Gorell Windows

#1 Post by bayfeet »

We purchased gorell windows for our whole house about 5 years ago. Two sashes and one large picture window were replaced under warranty. Since then we've had 5 more window seals go. Installer collegiate windows out of Paxton mass informed us of gorell and soft lite decision not to honor earlier windows. Very disappointed with rep and gorell/ softlite. Any movement towards a class action suit? Extremely disappointed.

uncle eddie

Re: Gorell

#2 Post by uncle eddie »

Sorry to hear that bayfeet. Unfortunately you are not alone, and I am hearing the same story with more frequency lately. I don't know of any lawsuit, but perhaps one will come sooner than later. If nothing else, this is certainly not reflecting on Softlite as a company in a positive manner.

bayfeet

#3 Post by bayfeet »

There needs to be an organized effort to go after gorell/softlite.

Delaware Mike

#4 Post by Delaware Mike »

So your dealer has no plans to make this right if they can't get free replacement sashes or glass from Soft-Lite? I'd like to see Soft-Lite at least make up new glass and help the dealer out with some discounts, however I'm so tired of this "not my problem" attitude of this entire county these days that I'm all about results and no BS.

If it's $200-$300 worth of glass and a couple of hours of service time for a tech, I'd think that the dealer would be very concerned about future referrals and reputation as opposed to you being having an upset customer. I've had two larger manufacturers go out of business in the last 5-years and when I've needed replacement glass (IG's), I've sucked it and ate that cost myself because I WAS THE ONE THAT RECOMMENDED THAT BRAND AND REPRESENTED THEM.

bayfeet

#5 Post by bayfeet »

My main concern us the seals continue to fail. We're at eight seal failures counting the three that were fixed under warranty.

Delaware Mike

#6 Post by Delaware Mike »

Back about 10 years ago I had accounts with Great Lakes and Accu-Weld that both glazed their own insulated glass units with PPG Intercept glazing which is the same spacer that Gorell utilized. Nothing but problems with in-house Intercept glazing. I've re-glazed way too many of them. I'm not a big fan of Intercept as I prefer Super Spacer, Cardinal XL Edge, or Duralite. I have done quite a few Soft-Lite Imperial LS units with Intercept and I've never had a single seal failure with Soft-Lite as they don't glaze their IG's in-house, it's outsourced to the Pros. It still happens, however most of my SL LS orders have upgraded Super Spacer.

I feel bad for you Bayfeet, hope someone comes through and makes this right. My guess is when Soft-Lite acquired Gorell they had a distinct plan for taking the bad with the good. Perhaps, they had no idea of how many warranty claims dollar wise that they were going to have to honor? It's not fair and not good business in my opinion. I really like the Soft-Lite products and I personally think that acquiring Gorell was a bad idea. It was a dated window that operated really nice, but was generally sold through very high-end overpriced dealers for the most part. Gorell's homeowners paid premium pricing for Gorell's reputation and warranty.

masterext
Location: Window Pro-Serves All of Northern New Jersey. Bergen, Morris, Union, Essex, Passaic, Sussex Counties

#7 Post by masterext »

Intercept seems to be most often associated with seal failures. As far as Gorell is concerned, i believe starting in 2010 they started out sourcing their IG units to a company in Ohio that i think soft lite uses as well.

Randy

#8 Post by Randy »

I really like the Soft-Lite products and I personally think that acquiring Gorell was a bad idea. It was a dated window that operated really nice, but was generally sold through very high-end overpriced dealers for the most part. Gorell's homeowners paid premium pricing for Gorell's reputation and warranty.
I agree 100%. Purchasing Gorell was a disaster for Soft-lite, they should have just let them go under and away. They've damaged their own reputation with the purchase. Since they did choose to make the purchase, Soft-lite should be covering the warranty as agreed, IMO.

bayfeet

#9 Post by bayfeet »

Another seal bites the dust. We're at. 9.

bayfeet

#10 Post by bayfeet »

An appeal to all gorell window owners to start a class action suit .

masterext
Location: Window Pro-Serves All of Northern New Jersey. Bergen, Morris, Union, Essex, Passaic, Sussex Counties

#11 Post by masterext »

If you purchased a gorell window AFTER Soft Lite took over, you will be fully covered for any warranty issues. If you purchased gorell windows BEFORE Soft lite took over, soft lite has no legal obligation for any gorell warranty.

bayfeet

#12 Post by bayfeet »

We're at 12 windows now. Seal failures on gorell 5300 windows are occurring at about one a week. Totally disgusted with gorell windows, and feel ripped off.

Windows on Washington

#13 Post by Windows on Washington »

Sorry to hear you are dealing with this. Have you put a call into Soft-Lite about this yet?

What was their response?

bradleyscotch

#14 Post by bradleyscotch »

I too have suffeted seal leaks rendering windows useless. It appears all of my windows will likely fail. I am concerned of losing thousands of dollars. I am most interested in joining a class action lawsuit. Please please lets stand together to fix this problem.

masterext

#15 Post by masterext »

A class action suit against gorell will be a waste of time and energy, Gorell is done and has nothing to do with the window business any longer. Gorell made a very good window but rested on their laurels while other companies redesigned their product offerings to not only remain competitive but to stay ahead of the curve in terms of new energy star criteria. Combine that with the fact that they employed union workers and you dont get a good outcome.
I never new Gorell to have issues with seal failures until the very end of their run when they started to outsource their glass.
Gorell sold their company ( very cheaply) to soft lite windows in ohio. It was a smart move on soft lite's part. They now get most of Gorell's dealers and basically converted them to be soft lite dealers.
As part of their purchase, Soft lite does not have to honor any warranty issues from the old gorell line. You can argue all day about that but its all about business and it would not of been in soft lite's best interest to put them in a position to where they had a slew of warranty issues from old gorell products. That would of been a dumb move from a business standpoint and at the end of the day, its all about business. As far as gorell customers who have window issues, i feel bad for them. That said, nothing in life is 100% guaranteed, things happen.
I do think soft lite will provide you with a new IG unit but there may be a small cost. Its far from the end of the world.