To replace or not to replace

Ask replacement window questions & get answers!
Duresaa

To replace or not to replace

#1 Post by Duresaa »

Hi - First time post so please bare with me.

My question is to replace my windows or ust pull them out of the frame and reinstall. I have several double hung windows that are starting to look like they are leaning in the frame. I had a new house built about 14 years ago and the windows still seem to be in good shape. But with the leaning, they are starting to be drafty. I am thinking the house settled over the years and now the windows are leaning toward the lower corners.

Thanks for any input

Windows on Washington

Re: To replace or not to replace

#2 Post by Windows on Washington »

Do you want the bad news or the bad news....?

In all seriousness though, if the home has settled a bit or changed shape (not uncommon with the moisture content in today's framing), the manner in which the window was attached to the home at the time of construction (i.e. nailing flange and via new construction), it is probably infeasible to adjust that window.

What type of material is the window made of? Can you post a picture of the condition of the window and lack of fitment?

There are some tweaks that you can do to some windows to make them fit a bit better but of the walls are moving and the opening is now out of square, there is not much that can be done to refit the square peg into a roundish hole.

Thanks for posting and please post up a picture if you can.

WoW

Duresaa

#3 Post by Duresaa »

I am not sure how to post a picture, but I could e-mail you one. I was hoping to shim the window back into square. I was around when the windows were installed and it looked like all the installers did was square the window in the frame and then secure using nails driven through a plastic flange that went around the perimeter of the window. Then nailed a cedar trim board over the flange.

Thanks

HomeSealed

#4 Post by HomeSealed »

If you try to shim the windows without releasing the nailing fin you'll just distort the frame further. You'll need to completely re-set the windows in question to make that right... The thing is, is it worth the time and $$$ to do that on 14yr old builder grade windows? In my experience it typically is not, but that will vary case by case.

masterext
Location: Window Pro-Serves All of Northern New Jersey. Bergen, Morris, Union, Essex, Passaic, Sussex Counties

#5 Post by masterext »

Well said HomeSealed. It would be both a waste of time and money. The OP would be much better served by having a professional window company come out and install high quality windows.

Windows on Washington

#6 Post by Windows on Washington »

Duresaa,

You can email me at: info@windowsonwashington.net.

Shoot me the pictures and I will host them for future browsers of the site.

Regardless...the answer is going to be as HomeSealed and Masterxt both stated.