In Dayton, OH area and looking to replace my replacements

Ask replacement window questions & get answers!
Finktl

In Dayton, OH area and looking to replace my replacements

#1 Post by Finktl »

We purchased vinyl replacements about 18 or so years ago, all of them leak and i don't really think they block out much traffic noise. The contractor did a horrible job, leaving the outside unfinished on every window. He gave us a heck of a deal though if we would allow him to put his sign in our yard - needless to say and because of how bad it looked, he never set up the sign. Not surprisingly, he's no longer in business. Live and learn!! :|

There are so many replacement window choices out there I just don't know where to begin. After the polar vortex whipped through most of the country last week and we experienced below 0 temps, I'm convinced we need to make some changes. We had lots of condensation on the glass and ice forming on the seams where they lock. We're on a tight budget like most folks but there are some things we would like (not required mind you), such as blinds between the panes. Any help on brands, tips/suggested, and especially area contractors would be much appreciated.

Thanks!

Windows on Washington

Re: In Dayton, OH area and looking to replace my replacements

#2 Post by Windows on Washington »

OH is the window manufacturers capitol of the US.

Do you want to stay with vinyl?

Finktl

#3 Post by Finktl »

I don't have to stay with vinyl, I'm open to options.

Windows on Washington

#4 Post by Windows on Washington »

What is the primary thrust of the decision...Energy Efficiency, Looks, etc.?

While you don't have a great work sample of well performing vinyl, you can't beat the top end vinyl performers when it comes to thermal, air, and overall efficiency.

I like the Sunrise Vanguard/Restorations, HiMark/Okna EnviroStar, Kensington Quantum 2 as a short list.

Finktl

#5 Post by Finktl »

The primary reason for my decision to replace them is they are of rotten quality and all have moisture buildup inside and as i mentioned before, the ice that dams up around the seams near the locks. We spent a fair amount on a new heat/air system and these windows seem to be taking us two steps backwards.

I have another question that popped up when I was browsing around this site. My house in old and the original windows had the weights and ropes running through cavities on both sides. The cavities weren't insulated when we did the replacements we have now. I assume these should be insulated, I just have no idea how to do it, there isn't any access to get in there. Is it safe to say that the contractor I choose should be able to do this?

Thanks for providing a list of manufacturers I will check these out.

Windows on Washington

#6 Post by Windows on Washington »

Your contractor should do that when they replace the windows.

You can cut holes in the side of the window openings when the old units come out or spray foam them. They absolutely should be insulated.

Good luck with the searching and please keep us posted of your progress.

masterext
Location: Window Pro-Serves All of Northern New Jersey. Bergen, Morris, Union, Essex, Passaic, Sussex Counties

#7 Post by masterext »

Whenever we do an install with weight pockets, we always insulate the weight pockets, in fact its very easy to do. You can even use fiberglass because the empty void is rather wide opposed to the perimeter of a window which should be insulated with foam.

Delaware Mike

#8 Post by Delaware Mike »

Most of these weight pocket cavities have a bottom access panel that can be removed. It's pretty easy to get fiberglass in there up to a certain point. I have seen some windows that don't have this removable panel and the insulation method leans more towards injecting foam. I prefer to drill offset holes every 6" to 8" and inject foam. One has to choose the correct foam formula. The typical low-expansion foam that we normally utilize will not expand enough will be used up too fast. The big gap (black can from Dow) will not stop expanding for what seems like hours and can force itself out of those holes are taped up with siding tap and then bow the jambs of the new windows.

For the header cavity pocket we always have to do foam. Depending on the lead RRP rules it can add up to an additional 30-45 minutes a window.

uncle eddie

#9 Post by uncle eddie »

I agree. Always best to foam the cavities. Just expect an added charge.

Finktl

#10 Post by Finktl »

Thanks all for the great advice. This is very helpful.

Last question - what is the best way to find a trusted and good contractor?

Windows on Washington

#11 Post by Windows on Washington »

Start with friends and family.

From there, I would figure out what windows you want to look at and then sort through the contractors that way as starting point.

If you see multiple on the same window platform, you can narrow the comparison but comparing the installation approaches and then talking to past clients and references.