Advice Needed on Replacement Windows

Ask replacement window questions & get answers!
cmm1015

Advice Needed on Replacement Windows

#1 Post by cmm1015 »

After the past brutal winter here in the NY, my wife and I agreed it's time to upgrades all our windows and doors. This will be our first time with any kind of home upgrades so we're looking for as much advice and support as we can get.

First of all, the brand I'm sold on in this forum is OKNA and fortunately for us we know of 2 OKNA installers in our 12603 zip code area. I think some of the experts here know these installers and if so any feedback on them will be appreciated.

Secondly, the myriads of upgrades/options on the windows are dizzying to say the least. Some are cosmetic and some are performance related. Aside from the cosmetic ones (eg color, grid, lock, screen, full capping, etc), what are reasonable upgrades we should be considering? Triple pane, ESP, Krypton Gas etc.

And lastly, can anyone can provide some ballpark price estimate (window+install) for a typical 35"x53" window in OKNA 500 and 800 series?

Thanks in advance.

Windows on Washington

Re: Advice Needed on Replacement Windows

#2 Post by Windows on Washington »

Pricing is really market dependent so that will have to be a case by case basis.

In terms of what is a valuable investment, I think that the triple pane is a must in your case. Whether you go for the really efficient Krypton is your call.

I personally triple pane argon and spend the other differential dollars between the Argon vs. Krypton on other improvements like air sealing and insulation.

Great window choice in the 800 though.

You are 90% there in terms of the process of selection though.

Window4U (IL)
Location: Sales and Installation in Chicagoland and Central Illinois

#3 Post by Window4U (IL) »

+1
I also recommend the triple/argon as the argon gets you almost the same efficiency as triple/krypton for a lot less money.
I recommend triple pane to my customers and I have past customers thank me all the time for talking them into getting it. You won't be sorry. The comfort it provides is well worth the modest cost upgrade.
I also recommend the Deluxe package and NOT the ESP to my customers. The cost difference is negligible and is well worth the upgrade.

HomeSealed

#4 Post by HomeSealed »

+2 on TP and Deluxe. For .02 pts in u factor at a minimal cost, the deluxe is well worth it.