Alside - whats the deal

Ask replacement window questions & get answers!
dyers78

Alside - whats the deal

#1 Post by dyers78 »

Hi -

I'm building a new house and need some unbiased opinions. A family member is a carpenter, and has been for 30 plus years, dealing with windows and doors for the last 20. He's offered to help me save some cost with my windows by ordering them at his price. I currently have Silverline windows because that is what my builder uses (this will be my second build with the same builder) I'm not 100% unhappy with the Silverline but they seem expensive for what they are and basically, it seems that I might be able to get a better window for a similar price.

The windows I'm looking at are from Alside (that is who my family member deals with). He flat out said Alside's lower line wonders are awful and he doesn't sell or recommend them. He priced out the Sheffield for me due mainly to the sill design. I want a true sloped sill, not the snap in sill with the weep holes. However, these do not come with nail fins or jam extensions. I guess the fins are "snap on" that you install in the field and then I would have to build the extensions.

From what I read online, Alside doesn't seem to have a good rep. My family member has a direct line to a distributor here in town and says he has never had any problems with warranty or issues in general with these windows.

So my questions: Are these snap on fins as secure and reliable as a wended version? I looked at the new construction 0300 series from Alside and it looks okay but I can't find any reviews on them. Are they decent? I've read that a replacement window is typically a better quality than a new construction window based. Is there any truth to that?

Thanks for any input.

masterext
Location: Window Pro-Serves All of Northern New Jersey. Bergen, Morris, Union, Essex, Passaic, Sussex Counties

Re: Alside - whats the deal

#2 Post by masterext »

First off, Silverline make one of the lowest quality windows ever made; plain and simple. They are also very cheap looking.
Alside are a bit better but still have poor performance numbers, primarily high air leakage issues as well as a poorly designed sill. Further, they are very bulky. If you are just looking for cheap windows that lack performance and looks, both brands are for you. However, if you want good energy efficiency, low air leakage, solid structural numbers, and a window that doesnt look cheap, look at the following high end vinyl brands:

Sunrise( vanguard or restorations)
Okna ( 800 envirostar or Okna 600 " EcoPro "
Vytex Potomac series
Soft lite ( elements)
Quantum 2 by kensington

You only want to do this once and you also dont want cheap looking/ flimsy windows to detract from your new home.
Fwiw
Most jack of all trades contractors wouldnt know quality if it hit them in the head. Stick with a company that specializes in windows.
Attempting to save money on windows is a lot like trying to look for the cheapest surgeon; not a good idea and is usually a costly mistake.
Last edited by masterext on Wed Mar 29, 2017 1:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

dyers78

#3 Post by dyers78 »

Thanks for the reply. Ill look into these suggestions. Its not a matter of trying to save money as much as its trying to work with a line item on a project that is already way over budget. Adding cost isnt an option. Trying to find the best product I can to fill that line item is my goal. The silverline in my current house work but im hoping to find something a little nicer.

Windows on Washington

#4 Post by Windows on Washington »

dyers78 wrote:Hi -

I'm building a new house and need some unbiased opinions. A family member is a carpenter, and has been for 30 plus years, dealing with windows and doors for the last 20. He's offered to help me save some cost with my windows by ordering them at his price. I currently have Silverline windows because that is what my builder uses (this will be my second build with the same builder) I'm not 100% unhappy with the Silverline but they seem expensive for what they are and basically, it seems that I might be able to get a better window for a similar price.

The windows I'm looking at are from Alside (that is who my family member deals with). He flat out said Alside's lower line wonders are awful and he doesn't sell or recommend them. He priced out the Sheffield for me due mainly to the sill design. I want a true sloped sill, not the snap in sill with the weep holes. However, these do not come with nail fins or jam extensions. I guess the fins are "snap on" that you install in the field and then I would have to build the extensions.

FYI...the Sheffield is a clip in sill and an adaptation of the Ultramaxx window that is a pocket sill.

On the other point, snap in nailing flanges, there is nothing wrong with that if done correctly.

From what I read online, Alside doesn't seem to have a good rep. My family member has a direct line to a distributor here in town and says he has never had any problems with warranty or issues in general with these windows.

Never is a bold statement. Perhaps he doesn't have any higher warranty incident rate with them but that has not been my experience by large margin. We are a product of our experiences so perhaps his/her are good.

So my questions: Are these snap on fins as secure and reliable as a wended version? I looked at the new construction 0300 series from Alside and it looks okay but I can't find any reviews on them. Are they decent? I've read that a replacement window is typically a better quality than a new construction window based. Is there any truth to that?

Snap on fins are fine if done right.

Most replacements are better in terms of quality and structure than most of the new construction windows out there.

Thanks for any input.
See above.

A quick side bar, the Sheffield is not a bad window. It is beefy and you do loose a good bit of viewable glass but it is just not in the category of the upper end lines that masterext mentions either.

dyers78

#5 Post by dyers78 »

Thats good news about those fins. That was my biggest concern followed by the lack of jamb ext and j channel on teh sheffeild.

I know and understand there are better windows but in the new construction world, everything is line item based and I'm not building a million dollar house.

I know I don't want silverline and I cant find anything else in a new construction window for the price I need to hit, which is about 235-250/unit. (not including install).

That being said, my builder suggested Revere 0301 new construction, which I think is the same window as alside. I got a sample window and it looks okay. Any advice on that vs the sheffeild? Alside has a Mezzo window out now that has a thinner line frame. Does anyone know about those?

Thanks for any feedback.

masterext
Location: Window Pro-Serves All of Northern New Jersey. Bergen, Morris, Union, Essex, Passaic, Sussex Counties

#6 Post by masterext »

I just replaced a few sheffields due to air leakage. The windows were installed prior to my customer moving in so he really didnt lose money. However, the windows were only 3 years old.
The sheffield is actually flimsy. Pull on the sill wall and header wall and you will see what i mean. further, it has weep holes where water is drained through the frame not just the sill: a horrible design. Lastly, look how sloppy the interior glazing bead is applied, it looks like it was fabricated by a blind man who was three sheets to the wind.
I see no reason to invest in sheffield.

TheWindowNerd

#7 Post by TheWindowNerd »

The Mezzo has a tested AI of .04 with the composite CMR reinforcement.
The frame edge to VG is about the same as the Okna, where I measure it, ~ 3.5"

TheWindowNerd...

dyers78

#8 Post by dyers78 »

Is this bad?

Windows on Washington

#9 Post by Windows on Washington »

dyers78 wrote:Is this bad?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QRrMNM9v8OU

I have the edge of frame to edge of glass on the Mezzo at about 2.75" which is the same as the Okna 500.

Air leakage numbers, if they stay that good and didn't fudge the numbers, are pretty good. The Mezzo seem to run a bit thin to me which worries me in long term performance.

dyers78

#10 Post by dyers78 »

Im not a window professional at all and I dont trust marketing materials, which is why im asking for help. Assuming these numbers are not fudged, would this be a decent option? Again, I have a small revere 0301 new construction window and it looks okay. Foundation goes in wednesday and I jave decide.

masterext

#11 Post by masterext »

We keep talking about this window; Mezzo. Its just an alside excalibur with a different sill.
It doesnt even come with a foam filled frame, same as the excalibur.

HomeSealed

#12 Post by HomeSealed »

I am not personally a fan of any AMI (alside, revere, alpine, window world, etc) window. There are three things for me that go into evaluating the quality and performance of a product/manufacturer:

1) performance ratings
2) quality control and customer service
3) longevity and durability

My experience with that line is that the performance ratings lag behind the better products on the market, the quality control was spotty, and I experienced a higher than average incidence of product related service issues, most notably warpage. I actually had a few where the sash meeting rail warped so badly that not only could you not lock the window, but the vinyl looked almost like a pretzel twist. I will say that their customer service and warranty service were pretty good, but I'd rather not have to be on a first name basis with a product rep due to so many warranty calls.... Just my experience, take it fwiw.

dyers78

#13 Post by dyers78 »

What about Simonton? They have 3 version of new construction windows. I've been reading that these are not up there with some others mentioned here, but they are a good mid-line window.

My options dealing with my builders suppliers and budget are:

1. Alside Sheffield with snap in nail fins (no integrated J-channel or jam extensions)
2. Revere (AMI) 0300 New construction (with j and extensions)
3. Simonton Pro Finish Master (Maybe the 600 but I'm still waiting on costs).

I really appreciate the help. I've been reading up on windows for a week and will be so happy to have this behind me.

Windows on Washington

#14 Post by Windows on Washington »

Of that group, #3 is the way to go.

HomeSealed

#15 Post by HomeSealed »

Where are you located?... That will have an impact on which lines are available to you.